Extending wireless range
AndrewT1

Hi.

Just received a new ActionTec MI424WR rev I FIOS router because my older unit (don't remember the rev but it was one with one antenna) crapped out. My old FIOS router provided adequate wireless coverage throughout my house. With the new FIOS router there are spots in my house where I lose wireless. Are there alternate antennas I can buy to replace the stock antennas? I can not change the location of the router.

0 Likes
Re: Extending wireless range
Roadking10453
Contributor - Level 1

check this out Andrew, lots of good ideas -

http://www.ehow.com/how_5469512_extend-wireless-range.html

0 Likes
Re: Extending wireless range
PJL
Master - Level 3

@AndrewT wrote:

Hi.

Just received a new ActionTec MI424WR rev I FIOS router because my older unit (don't remember the rev but it was one with one antenna) crapped out. My old FIOS router provided adequate wireless coverage throughout my house. With the new FIOS router there are spots in my house where I lose wireless. Are there alternate antennas I can buy to replace the stock antennas? I can not change the location of the router.

It MIGHT not be the router, but the channel it's on.  The auto-selected channel may have too much interference.  You might try setting it to specific channels and see what happens.  I had to set mine to 11 to get the strongest signal.  (My Android Nook Table has an app that let's me see all channels in use and where there might be interference, and channel 11 was the best for me.)

0 Likes