Extermely slow uploads with 25/25 FIOS - no solution from tech support.
karas
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been on FIOS for over 2 years now and I had no complaints about download speeds.

Howver,  upload speeds are unacceptable.  They deteriorate after about 1-2 GB to less than 1Mbps.  Right now I am trying to backup some files and the speed is  516 KB/sec.  Yes, this is KB/sec.    I have been trying to resolve this for the last year and everytime it boils down to the conclusion that the speedtest is okay.  Download test is usually around the spec, but upload speed test can be all over.  Once they hear that I am getting a test over 50% of the spec they are done!   I had no luck with getting assistance to resolve why the upload deteriorate so bad.

I am currently on Windows 7 and we have several computers.  Mainly use for these tests three PCs directly connected one at a time to the router (not wifi for these tests).  All with the same results.  The router was so far switched twice with no change.  I experienced/tested uploads multiple times to different remote destinations with the same results.  One of them is Amazon's S3 service, and other high availability sites.

I am at a loss what to do next.  Verizon tech support has provided no resolution with this issue.  Period! 

Re: Extermely slow uploads with 25/25 FIOS - no solution from tech support.
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Have you run the FiOS optimizer?

Take a look at your registry and see if you have a key like this with a simliar value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\AFD\Parameters 

DefaultSendWindow 261360

karas
Enthusiast - Level 2

This was done with the tech couple days ago.  It is at 261360.  After optimization showed an increase on the upload speedtest, but the upload issue remained.  I repeated this on my other two computers also.   Re-checked with the tech yesterday, who actually said that with Windows7 it is not necessary to optimize.  One of his 'interesting' recommendations was that I switch to a business account (yeah right) since I have so many computers.  I happen to be a family of four and everybody has at least one device of this or other type.  Darn!

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@karas wrote:

This was done with the tech couple days ago.  It is at 261360.  After optimization showed an increase on the upload speedtest, but the upload issue remained.  I repeated this on my other two computers also.   Re-checked with the tech yesterday, who actually said that with Windows7 it is not necessary to optimize.  One of his 'interesting' recommendations was that I switch to a business account (yeah right) since I have so many computers.  I happen to be a family of four and everybody has at least one device of this or other type.  Darn!

I have Windows 7, ethernet connected, and have never done a Verizon optimization (really, I have not used any optimization tools). I have 25/15 FiOS home service and just got the following:

Verizon test:

Speedtest.net (to Ft. Worth, less than 50 miles):

Speedtest.net to San Jose, CA (1400 miles):

And finally, Jefferson Lab test (Virginia):

Lots of differet results, but that is what I expected - how busy the servers are, network congestion, routing, etc. can all have a big effect. But overall with FiOS I do seem to get consistently good upload and download performance.

Now to your issues;

1) Try a number of different speed test site, using various servers in different locations, just to get an idea what you can realistically expect. I tent to like Speedtest.net, but I have seen other folks poo-poo that site.

2) Try some traceroutes to the sites where you get poor upload performance, see if you can identify a specific bottlenet. For example, here in the DFW area, several months ago there was a Verizon router somewhere in Dallas that, if you were routed through that, performance was lousy. It took a local user to be very, very persistent with the Verizon tech support folks before he finally found someone who would actually look into the problem, and then bingo, it got fixed very quickly. If the traceroutes seem to show something you could post them here, maybe someone could help isolate the issue. (be sure to cover up your ip address, at least the last two octets)

3) Don't give in to the business account idea, there is absolutely no reason you should need to do that.

4)Are any of the sites you are experiencing problems with offering any "free" upload access that maybe others here could try and see if they experience the same issues? Some sites unfortunately just don't have the bandwidth available to match the speeds available with FiOS (not saying that is the issue, but it could be).

Other than the above, I really don't have any other thoughts at this time. But in general it seems to me that if you can get good upload speeds to test sites, then the problem is outside your house, and probably outside Verizon. But maybe in the interface between Verizon and a specific long-haul carrier is the issue? If so, may be very hard to get resolved unfortunately.

Keller, TX 76248

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@karas wrote:

Win 7 does negotiate download speed without help but it was my experience that changing that DefaultSendWindow made a dramatic difference in upload speeds.  That was a year or so ago.  It's possible that Microsoft has updated Win 7 so it no longer needs the manual  tweak but I wouldn't bet on it.

What speed do you actually see with the Verizon speed test?  If you're getting at or near the 25 mb/s you're paying for, I have to agree with Justin that resolving the issue with servers outside the Verizon network will be difficult or impossible.  In the real world I find I rarely get anywhere near my upload plan's speed when sending a single file, but I can always saturate my upstream at or above my plan's speed sending multiple files simultaneously.  That tells me that my FiOS upstream is working just fine and sending a single file slowly is due to Internet conditions outside my LAN and outside the Verizon network.

karas
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you both for your input!  The tests come back usually pretty good.   I am running out of time tonight, and not sure about tomorrow, but I should be able to post some screenshots from tests over the weekend.  However, in the end the issue is with volume.  One of the services I use is Amazon's S3.  This is an enterprise level service that shouldn't experience bottlenecks at their end.   I have uploaded to Amazon S3 many times always with the same issue - starst very fast and then it quickly slows down.   The issue is somewhere else.  Like one of you wrote, maybe it is a router somwehere.