Extra Modem for FIOS
hhuie7

I'm looking to purchase an extra modem to hook my PS3 to.  Currently the modem/router is located in my office which is around 25 feet away from the TV.  After my wife tripped on the wire couple times she told me I have to get a new modem.  My question is which one is compatible with FIOS because I don't feel like spending the 150 that's listed on the site.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Extra Modem for FIOS
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don't have a modem, you have a router and you can only have 1 gateway router.

If you don't want to use an ethernet cable to get to the other room you need to get a wireless extender which will get you to the other room where you can connect only your ps3 or a second router or switch if you want to connect more than one device.

0 Likes
hhuie7

Would either a NIM 100 or another Actiontec MI424 router work?  That's what I'm seeing from other sources online and in the forums.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

the nim can possibly work for you, if you already have a coax line run to where the ps3 is and if it is live

a second router will not. even with a second router, it still requires you to run a cable to the first router, and that is what you are trying to get away from.

You basically have 4 options. (that I can think of) 

1. Run ethernet from the ps3 to the router. (this sounds like what you have now)

2. Connect your ps3 wirelessly (for gaming systems this is never a good choice if you can avoid it)

3. Use Ethernet over Power. This is a connection where you purchase ethernet over power, one box connects to an electrical outlet and runs a wire to the router, the other connects to another electrical outlet and connects to your ps3. Then your connection from the ps3 to the router goes over the electrical wireing in the home.

4. use the nim to convert the coax to ethernet for your ps3 (will only work if you already have coax run to where the ps3 is)

Hubrisnxs
Legend

@hhuie7 wrote:

Would either a NIM 100 or another Actiontec MI424 router work?  That's what I'm seeing from other sources online and in the forums.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@hhuie7 wrote:

the nim 100 will work.  the actiontec mi424wr has a Moca bridge built into it, and there are tons of customers using that in that fashion.  you can refer to broadbandreports.com or dslreports.com forum users and you will find tons on there that do exactly that. 

so as long as you have a working coax connector in the room that you want, you plug the actiontec into it, it (through moca) goes to the main gateway and then connects out to the net.   then ethernet from the new router to your ps3 or other device. 

that configuration will in fact work if you are coax/moca which most customers are.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#15984

this is basically what you are looking for.