Facebook - Apparently FIOS doesn't like that site. Comcast loves it though.
IsoMissComcast
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, I just got off the phone with Verizon level 2 tech support. They claim that they know of no such problem where certain sites have issues with connection when using FIOS, like Facebook.

Ahhh, my guess is they don't read. http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Mid-Atlantic-Fios-Problems/td-p/157351

Anyway, just about all the other sites I use work fine, but Facebook. It doesn't matter what machine I use. It doesn't matter what browser I use. Facebook, for some odd reason has issues........... and only with FIOS.

Luckily, I just turned this garbage on  recently(FIOS), and I still have my Comcast connection up. So I ran two machines side by side. One connected to FIOS, the other connected to Comcast.

Care to take a guess what happens when Verizon is choking on Facebook? Comcast works just fine.

When Verizon wont even connect to Facebook, Comcast works just fine.

I have no action plan from Vz L2, nothing. The best I got from the stooge on the phone was "I'll pass the word along."

Well gee thanks. You'll pass the word along that the service I paid for is malfunctioning? How nice. Thank you so much, I feel so special.

...because I wouldn't want to be treated like any other customer with a problem, where a ticket is opened and someone is actually responsible for resolving it. No........... just pass the word.

Even better, which makes me feel even more special, is I'm apparently the only one out of the millions of customers that Verizon has, who has reported this. Oh I feel so special.

.........hmmm.

Maybe I'm not alone? Maybe it's a problem they have yet to figure out? Maybe they're telling everyone that they're "special", just like me, until their lackey network team figures out why Facebook has such poor QoS?

Maybe they just set it up that way in some idiotic attempt to better manage traffic for the most popular site on the web?

Maybe I'll call Comcast, and see what they can do. I miss you Comcast. Your TV sucks, but there's nothing on anyway.

0 Likes
Re: Facebook - Apparently FIOS doesn't like that site. Comcast loves it though.
IsoMissComcast
Enthusiast - Level 2

....and for the record, the second post in the forum thread I referenced is exactly what we're seeing.

The login page loads if you're not logged in, most of the time. The real problems start if you're already logged in.

Again, no problem when using Comcast.

0 Likes
IsoMissComcast
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ah hah, three more threads with special people in them.

I'm so hurt, Verizon tech support. You lied to me. You told me I was special. *weeping*

I'll bet you told all those other people that they were special too. It's not nice to play with feelings like that. It hurts.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Suddenly-unable-to-access-Facebook-com-or-MySpace-com/m-p...

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Can-t-reach-common-websites-im-MD/m-p/161654

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Can-t-access-certain-websites-including-my-own-for-second...

0 Likes
Coopdoggie
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am also having this problem wiht FiOS. I am also able to get onto facebook through a different internet connection (3G on my phone)

Verizon, FIX IT!

IsoMissComcast
Enthusiast - Level 2

Now this is hilarious.

When trying to connect to Facebook on FIOS I now get this....

Service Unavailable - DNS failure

The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.

Reference #11.7491160.1285275094.27bd0b

Even funnier? When I jump the Verizon DNS servers and borrow Level 3's? (4.2.2.2) .....

It STILL fails with the same message.

Guys............. stop screwing with traffic policing and shaping.. For those that don't know what that is... http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk545/technologies_tech_note09186a00800a3a25.shtml

Oh yeah, *cough* ......... Comcast, no surprise, still works fine.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Just to introduce some reality to a rather mis-directed thread, you might want to read this article from the New York Times:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/23/facebook-says-it-is-working-on-technical-troubles/?hp

And FWIW, I was able to get to Facebook via my FiOS connection with no trouble about 15-20 minutes ago. So apparently Facebook has fixed their problems.

Keller, TX 76248

IsoMissComcast
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yep, I retract my other post. That is what caused the DNS error, not VZ.

....but it doesn't explain the last 2 weeks.

Of course, the day I pick to report the issue is the day that FB has an actual outage, lol. To hell with the lottery.

0 Likes
lemme14

I thought I would bump this topic.  Same problem today with Facebook.  Noticed it last night as well.  I cannot access from my iMac, Macbook or PC running Windows XP. I cannot access from my iPhone 4, 3GS or iPad if the Wi-Fi is on. However, if I turn off the Wi-Fi and use the 3G connection I can access Facebook. It doesn't work with my Airport Extreme or my Netgear Wireless router.  I also connected the PC running Windows directly to the Verizon router and it still didn't work.  One exception.  My BN ColorNook can access Facebook using the same Wi-Fi.  I don't know what the issue is but it sure sounds like it is something on Verizon's end.  Anyone else seeing this issue?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The original OP's problem for this was resolved by Facebook as they were in fact having problems. 

However this is very old so the solution today is probably very different than what happened several months ago.  

My advice is from experience with problems like this, and it will self heal. BUT you should be able to temporarily access it with a proxy. Go to »www.megaproxy.com/freesurf/
and u can access it until you get a new ip address.

The best thing for you to do in my opinion is physically power off your router when you got to bed tonight. In the morning when you turn it on you will like get a new ip address and be able to access like normal.

If you can access the site through a proxy (like »www.megaproxy.com/freesurf/), then that means that fios is providing you a clear path from point a to b.

So what's blocking you? Most of the time its the site itself blocking or banning the ip address you have. Not to any fault of your own probably. The ip addresses are shared between residential users, so whoever had your ip before you may have reeked havoc on their boards.

Its also possible that its something as simple as an out of date Bogon filter and a new ip would solve that too

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
One thing I can also add to this topic too, is that Facebook uses what is essentially a CDN for distributing their pages as well as serving up their content. Each ISP might connect to a different farm of servers and the ones FiOS might have been going through despite changes in DNS probably had issues at the time. That would be the only reason why FiOS would have issues whereas Comcast would not.
0 Likes