Fascinating chart on Netflix problem
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

http://blog.streamingmedia.com/2014/06/netflix-isp-newdata.html

The above post and others by Dan Rayburn on his streamingmedia.com site clearly point out that the Verizon/Netflix problem is complicated, but the chart shows in no uncertain term that we FIOS subscribers are receiving worse Netflix performance than we used to get.  Actually, a lot worse.

Compare the FIOS performance with Cox - who just happens to be the competing ISP in my area.  I understand that compared to Verizon, Cox is tiny.  And I understand that Cox is not a fiber optic provider (which is precisely why I switched from Cox to Verizon years ago.)

My point is that as individual consumers we are not privy to nor have access to the intermediate net transport companies that Netflix relies on to get content to various ISPs, Verizon in particuar.  But of course Verizon does.  And since we are paying Verizon for the service we want we rely on them to be responsible enough to actually provide the service we are paying for.

This they are not doing.  Perhaps it's becuase they were asleep at the switch and failed to properly forecast overall network traffic loads. Perhaps it's becuase they are too stingy to pay Netflix or some intermediary transport their desired tolls. Perhaps they can't get the necessary equipment installed for some other technical or supplier problem. Or perhaps their lawyers weren't alert enough to negotiate a solid Service Level Agreement (SLA) with Neteflix when they first established a relatiponship witht them.

Frankly it doesn't really matter.  What does matter is that we, the Verizon customers, have not been getting the service we are paying for.  And it looks like (based on other articles on streamingmedia.com) that we will not be getting it any time soon.  

Is there any other kind of business that can get away scott-free with under-serving so many of its customers for so long? 

Re: Fascinating chart on Netflix problem
FlyerQ
Enthusiast - Level 3

Please keep in mind that Dan Rayburn works for Forst & Sullivan.

Verizon is a client of Forst & Sullivan.

Forst & Sullivan has a side business of giving awards to Verizon.

http://www.verizonenterprise.com/resources/whitepapers/wp_meetings-around-the-world-ii_en_xg.pdf

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Interesting that Dan Rayburn was writing about Netflix issues before Netflix and Verizon whispered the word partnership.

Shows some consistency in his position, and the fact that Congress and the Senate ask him to testify as a Expert in the field lends to his credibility which thus far has been without reproach.

0 Likes
FlyerQ
Enthusiast - Level 3

Please don't confuse expertise with neutrality or a senate invite with neutrality.

It's fine if he has a perspective, that is encouraged.  It's fine if his firm contracts to big last mile ISPs.

The relevence of the disclosure is for each to make.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

It's just that you're inferring that his tangential relation to verizon somehow discounts his ability to write on the subject of a DIFFERENT COMPANY (netflix and Comcast)

I just don't see how they are related,.   you're using a strawman argument.  

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

Rayburn is an ISP puppet.  The ISPs get their mouthpieces before Senate commitees and so does the other side.

He talks a lot but like a lot of politicians he is pretty hard to pin down to a real posiition.

He is pro Comcast/TWC merge, against changes to stengthen Net Netruality, and is pro ISP in the Netflix debate.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Ok, so we jump from poorly constructed strawmen arguments to ad hominem attacks on a technical experts character, but these only highlight the avoidance of his facts and figures.   

It's pretty clear he's built his case (and I hate to break it, it's pretty compelling) while netflix hasn't.

Why is that?

John Adam's, wisely once said  "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.

Again good people can disagree, but we should stick to the facts. 

I still maintain (and it looks like all the supporting evidence is on my side) that Netflix is being VERY DISENGENIOUS in their public media stunts. For that reason alone I'd start filing complaints with Netflix and the BBB personally

For a better understanding, I'd encourage folks to read one of the best stories by Maggie Reardon on CNET (here's your chance to malign her character), which explains what is really going on in more layman's terms

And in closing, I wonder why this statement gets looked over in all the discussions here?  I wouldn't mind seeing it addressed, I am sure all of our non apple tv netflix users would also like to know why this is the case... 

In a little known, but public fact, anyone who is on Comcast or Verizon and using Apple TV to stream Netflix wasn’t having quality problems. The reason for this is that Netflix is using Level 3 and Limelight to stream their content specifically to the Apple TV device. What this shows is that Netflix is the one that decides and controls how they get their content to each device and whether they do it via their own servers or a third party. Netflix decides which third party CDNs to use and when Netflix uses their own CDN, they decide whom to buy transit from, with what capacity, in what locations and how many connections they buy, from the transit provider. Netflix is the one in control of this, not Comcast or any ISP.

db909
Contributor - Level 3

Here are some facts for you, witten earlier this week and from:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/06/netflix-got-worse-on-verizon-even-after-netflix-agreed-to-pa...

Netflix got worse on Verizon even after Netflix agreed to pay Verizon

"Verizon FiOS is down two slots and now ranks behind DSL providers Frontier and Windstream,"

A Verizon spokesperson confirmed to Ars today that the Journal's "reporting is correct

Verizon VP David Young, "We can't just snap our fingers and the network is upgraded.

Amazingly some how Netflix got a lot better on Comcast after Netflix started paying Comcast.   So the obvious question is why can't FIOS do the same?  Or is this just a money grab?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

It was less than 72 hours after verizon agreed to a deal with netflix, and that's just agreeing to a deal, who knows what if anything was finalized.  

that isn't enough facts to form a conclusion, I am sure we can all agree on that.

The question of "is it a money grab" would need similiar proof, and if that proof was obtained that would be flat out extortion, and verizon would be in breach.

Here we are good to go with $$$$XYZ     

Ok, now that we all agreed to this price, and it's finalized, we want more. 

that just doesn't make sense.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Looks like we might get some answers soon to some of these questions, the FCC is starting to get actively involved.  

AT&T accuses Netflix of ‘double-talk’ when it comes to Comcast and Verizon deals
Washington Post · 1 day ago

Netflix's commercial arrangements with Internet providers are a bitter pill for the company to swallow. It's agreed to pay Comcast and Verizon so that its…

0 Likes