Re: Fast Netflix
optivity
Contributor - Level 3

I tried using one of the OpenDNS providers to improve my video streaming performance w/Netflix.

It did not resolve anything for me.

0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

VPN is the best route but need to pay.

0 Likes
SoNi67
Contributor - Level 1

Use Unlocator.com - it is actually a VPN (it is free for now in beta stage) and is based just on the DNS change in your device (either router for all network or just the device that uses Netflix).

A DNS server change by itself doesn't work because Verizon can "catch" that.

0 Likes
optivity
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks for the tip, I will give Unlocator a try.

Any bets regarding how long Verizon will allow this alternative to exist?

0 Likes
SoNi67
Contributor - Level 1

Now that their employees saw that... is hard to tell 😄

My next move will be a complaint to FCC for false advertising.

They said will provide 50mbps with the internet, not with a speedtest site.

I think that is also grounds for me to get off my 2 year contract and go back to Cox.

0 Likes
optivity
Contributor - Level 3

Before Verizon intentionally crippled the video streaming performance for Netflix I could stream Super HD with a wireless connection via a PS3.

Once the video streams dropped to sub-par SD quality I canceled my account with Netflix.

My PS3 "speed test" still reports 15 - 18 Mbps download speeds with its wireless connection.

I established an account w/Unlocator yesterday, registered the WAN IP address assigned by Verizon and applied Unlocator's DNS settings on my PS3.

Immediately thereafter the PS3's download speed dropped to 3 - 4 Mbps, so I did not activate my Netflix account to test their video streaming performance w/Unlocator.

Did I misconfigure my equipment? Has anyone had success with Unlocator VPN/OpenDNS service?

0 Likes
SoNi67
Contributor - Level 1

You need "testing" speeds or real life speeds?

I found out that it doesnt matter that Verizon says:

"Download the Latest Superhero Movie (5 GB) With FiOS Quantum Internet, you can pick a movie, download it, and be watching minutes later."

Their speedtest site wil always show great. Reality is different.

Alternatelly you can set up unlocator just for the device that uses netflix - that's what I did.

I don't trust their router settings, they have absolut control on that. You can see your router WiFi password on this site, if you log in - even if you change the WiFi and the Admin password to the router.

That tells me that they have a litte more control on that device that you would expect.

0 Likes