faster router offer
jbigj

So i receive this email offering to sell me an 85mb router today. I am paying for Quantum tv with 75/35 internet, the offer would have a customer belleve they need this to achieve good speeds to use the internet or quantum product. If that is the case, why does verizon supply peripherals that will not allow a customer to use the product that they are paying for. OR is the email misleading? please help me to understand

0 Likes
Re: faster router offer
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's a mass mailing not directed just at you.  At your tier whatever router Verizon gave you will manage OK.

That being said I have never heard of an 85mb router from anybody, 10, yes, 100 yes 1000 yes but never in between speeds.

0 Likes
Re: faster router offer etc. apple/wep/wpa
veritasvrizon

A little note: we had a WEP level router; discovered after a dozen checkins with vrzon etc and apple that as the one person at an apple store in hawaii said."Apple (specifically  Apple Extra) does not play nice with WEP, you need WPA or WPA2 to work right." Point: neither apple  nor verizon with numerous reps were aware of that. undertandable can't know all. But if you want it to work right get the latest (and verify it) router and up your speed to 75 especially if you have more than 5 devices. There is a newer router coming vrizn people being trained on now so be aware you may likely want that. My experience and those on othe forums is that there are better than Verzn routers for range and signal at any given time, it appears caused by verizon taking a lot more time than others to verify bugs, capabilities etc. (a good thing). I've been generally very happy with tech support (once you get through all the multitudes of automated barriers.

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

WEP, WPA, & WPA2 have nothing to do with the speed capability of a router.  Those terms describe different types of security for logging into the router's wi-fi.  That said, if you have a router that can not use WPA2, then you should request an updated router, and Verizon should provide you with one for no fee, because WPA2 will give you more security than WEP.  If your router can not do WPA2, then it is probably pretty old and so it also probably uses older wi-fi protocols such as "G" that isn't as fast as newer versions such as "N" or "AC".

If you are using devices that are connected to your current router via ethernet cable, you should be getting close to your paid speed, and the router won't be limiting it.  Verizon only guarantees your full speed when wired.

The latest widely available version of the FIOS router is an "N" router, meaning its wi-fi will have better range and speed than an earlier model which cannot use "N", so if you are having signal issues, the latest router may solve this for you if your devices also are compatible with N wi-fi.   This is the model that Verizon is trying to get you to purchase.  In the Verizon web page, it says that it is capable of providing up to 85 mbps via wi-fi.  If your paid internet tier is over about 100 mbps, Verizon will give you the "N" router for no charge, since it is required for those fastest speeds.  You may be able to talk them into giving you one of these for free if you agree to an upgrade or contract extension.

A new FIOS router is expected to come out soon which features "AC" wi-fi, which will give even more range and speed than N wi-fi, but again, you will need fairly new devices that are AC wi-fi compatible in order to take advantage of that extra range and speed that AC offers.

You could also purchase a newer third party N or AC wi-fi router and use that with your current FIOS router to get better wi-fi range and speed.

Please see the thread below for more information regarding the new FIOS routers.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/New-AC-Router/m-p/738597/highlight/true#M50374

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Wep doesn't support wireless N speeds.  So yes you have to have wpa2 encryption.   Not only that but wpa2 psk only offers single stream 65 mb throughput.  Only wpa2 aes supports 300mb

Data rate will not exceed 54 Mbps when WEP or TKIP ... - Intel

0 Likes