Fios 25/25 Internet, DNS Issue, and connectivity issue iMac Early 2009
MrTennisNinja

I had an issue concerning connectivity on my iMac desktop computer. I currently own a ActionTech Router M***..heres the deal

The good news:

1. I can log into my router settings and alter things

2. I like that on iMac OX10.6.5 and in the past software you can change network settings on network from<system preferences and be able to change dns servers and MTU

3. I am able to reset to default settings correctly by resetting the router form the back

The Bad News

1. When i reset the router for the first time in a while( probably since i started using it) the connection is a bit laggy and slow from my previous settings. I only reset it because i wanted to change some DNS servers and i couldn't log in because i forgot the login issues.

2. I don't know how to CORRECLY change the DNS servers from my router settings and im not sure if its related to Ethernet Cable since its already connected to the ethernet cable. So im a bit confused there

3. Do you have to change the settings twice on <system preferences>network> and the router settings online? or just router settings online( in order for the connection to be ideal)

4. Whenever i do reset the router and i try connecting REGULARLY, with the defaults, my firefox download speed is very slow usually ranging from 200kb/s. Before i reset the router settings and changed the reset button i was getting around normal 2.5-3.1 MB/s download rate so i don't know what happened there.

5. Whenever i perform a connection test i get 25 download 4 upload rate..i don't know why? it SHOULD be 25 upload as well..hmm

Overview

Should i change my DNS settings and HOW?( for mac and router settings online). It seems i did something in the past to change the setting on my DNS because i remember i DID change my DNS settings in the past through network in system preferences and NOT! through the router setting online and now, after resetting to the default, the connection changed drastically. How do i correctly set up the router  and alter to router settings for it to be ideal? btw my desk is clean with not magnetic frequency interference. I also downloaded the optimizer tool for mac and i didn't do anything either..also when i played world of warcraft after getting my updated router from verizon the FPS was around 110-140 FPS then went down to 70-90FPS(still past expansion) and now its at 30-50 FPS due to the newest expansion and graphic updates( which is understandable)..please help with this issue

Thank you

0 Likes
Re: Fios 25/25 Internet, DNS Issue, and connectivity issue iMac Early 2009
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

There are two ways to manage your DNS settings.

1)  You can have your devices obtain the DNS servers to use from the router. 

2)  You can set the DNS servers to use directly on your PC/MAC.

To select between the two options in Windows, under Adapter Properties, TCP/IP Properties (MAC should have something similar),  on the TCP/IP properties page, you have the choice of "obtain DNS server addresses automatically", or "use the following DNS addresses". 

If you select "obtain DNS server addresses automatically" (option 1), your PC will send DNS lookup requests to the Actiontec for resolution.  This option is useful if you want to centrally administer the choice of DNS servers (such as OpenDNS).

If you select "use the following DNS addresses" (option 2), your PC will send DNS lookup requests directly to the DNS servers listed.  This option gives better performance.  The Actiontec does not have the best performance when acting as a DNS proxy.

Regardless of which option you choose, you will want to use the fastest DNS servers for your location.  The easiest way to find those is with DNSbench.  There should be a MAC version available if you google for it.

If you choose option 1, then in the Actiontec you also have the choice of "obtain DNS server addresses automatically" which means to get the DNS server addresses from Verizon or "use the following DNS addresses".  This is located under My Network; Network Connections; Broadband Connection (coax or ethernet as appropriate); Settings.

0 Likes
MrTennisNinja

DNSbench doesnt have a mac version so im downloading namebench..

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MrTennisNinja wrote:

DNSbench doesnt have a mac version

No kidding it does not.

I can use use that tool thanks to something called Wine on my ubuntu (Unix/Linux) computer.

http://www.grc.com/freeware/wine.htm

^^

0 Likes