FIOS 35/35 account suddenly slows down to downloads 0.5-2 Mbps
evanwiener
Enthusiast - Level 2
My Fios Internet download speeds over Ethernet connection suddenly dropped from around 35 Mbps to under 1 Mbps Tuesday night. My HD DVR also stopped letting me change channels. I used Speedtest.net and Verizon's test. My upload speeds are still around 35 Mbps.

A FIOS support call walked me through resetting and disconnecting my router and DVR, which didn't do anything to fix the problem. They seset the box remotely and nothing is fixed. They had me download some app on Apple's website to fix TCP settings on my iMac, which solved nothing. They sent me a replacement router and nothing's improved after hooking it up.

What could have caused my download speeds to drop suddenly and what can I tell Verizon to get this fixed promptly. I hate the poor job tech support does to diagnose problems like this and can't wait through the next weekend to get this addressed. I'm tempted to go back to Comcast at this point!
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS 35/35 account suddenly slows down to downloads 0.5-2 Mbps
evanwiener
Enthusiast - Level 2
He checked with his laptop and confirmed the problem. After replacing the outside box, he contacted central office and it's been elevated to a level 2 issue. Someone nearby has reported an issue, so they're hoping it's something at whatever central location sends the data through our shared fiber optic line.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

sometimes, just like the router needs to be rebooted or a PC needs to be rebooted, also the ONT (main vz box) needs to be rebooted.

Try that and see if it helps.

0 Likes
evanwiener
Enthusiast - Level 2
The Fios technician is here and replaced the outside box. It has not resolved the problem. He's now been on hold for 30 minutes calling to a central office to resolve the issue.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

see if he has a laptop handy, and ask him to test it on his laptop.   see if it's really the fios box.  he might have to take it and test further up the line if they can't fix it with software.

0 Likes
evanwiener
Enthusiast - Level 2
He checked with his laptop and confirmed the problem. After replacing the outside box, he contacted central office and it's been elevated to a level 2 issue. Someone nearby has reported an issue, so they're hoping it's something at whatever central location sends the data through our shared fiber optic line.
0 Likes
Willie_VZ
Enthusiast - Level 2
Good Evening evanwiener, we are reaching out to see if your issue has been addressed or still on-going. I will Pm a request for some information. Please fill out our secure form and please ensure that your area code + telephone number is in the "description" field as this will assist us in locating, isolating and resolving your issue. Thank You ^ws
0 Likes
evanwiener
Enthusiast - Level 2
No, this issue seems to have been resolved.
0 Likes
eiVaL
Enthusiast - Level 3

ive been having this very same issue for about the last week or so, went through all the normal hoops, how do you even get someone to come out and test for themselves?

i cant get the phone reps to take me to that point, just the same run around about rebooting my hardware and the ONT and the signal to the ONT looks fine on their end.

yet im clearly having issues cause i cant even stream youtube or mlb.tv without lag, my xbox service is showing lag too.

just now ive run tests and im seeing a hard cap at 2mbps on the download EVERY TIME, thats clearly not a normal issue with latency but something on verizons end.

when i run traceroutes it shows high delay jumps just in the first 2-3 hops of the verizon Tampa routers and Atlanta routers, of course none of the phone reps can comprehend any of this type of testing which gets me no where.

they still havent reactivated my MOCA after switching to Ethernet on friday for testing.

so if a tech wants to PM me fine, or if OP can tell me how exactly i get to the point of just having someone come out and see for themselves the issues.

prisaz
Legend

Post a copy of your trace route (tracert) to the location you are accessing when you say things are slowing down.

0 Likes
mc9831
I realize this post is pretty old but I am having the same trouble and so far verizon phone techs have not resolved. They replaced my router then someone said it may be interference with other networks. I bought a new 5ghz one and still horrible at times with no other networks on this frequency. Certain tv channels get pixelated or don't come in. Experience tells me the problem is not in my home. Need some help.
0 Likes