FIOS Actiontec M1424MR Version F Router
tenorio351
Enthusiast - Level 3

I  have a RJ45 5E cable running from this router to my desktop and it works fine.

I would like to know if I take the current input desktop cable and wire it to the input another " N "

router and use 1 of these ports to wire to my desktop will it work.  The other router would be

used as a bridge between the laptop and VZ router

Thanks

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS Actiontec M1424MR Version F Router
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Yes...that should work.

For the simplest setup, disable the DHCP feature on the second router and connect the Cat 5 from the Actiontec to a LAN port on the second unit.   Then connect another LAN port on the new unit to your PC.

You didn't mention what you want to do with wifi.  You can turn off the wifi on the Actiontec and just use the new router as a WAP, or turn off the wifi on the new router, or run both of them.

If you want to run both of them come back for additional suggestions of configuring SSIDs, channels, etc.  🙂

edit:  I have a simliar configuration.   I suggest you assign your second router a static IP address, something like 192.168.1.10.  You'd do that in the new router's setup.  You should also configure the Actiontec's DHCP range to avoid where you have the static IP set.  I have my Actiontec DHCP range set to 192.168.x.100-150.

Having the second router on a static IP will allow you to easily manage it from anywhere on your LAN.

View solution in original post

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Yes...that should work.

For the simplest setup, disable the DHCP feature on the second router and connect the Cat 5 from the Actiontec to a LAN port on the second unit.   Then connect another LAN port on the new unit to your PC.

You didn't mention what you want to do with wifi.  You can turn off the wifi on the Actiontec and just use the new router as a WAP, or turn off the wifi on the new router, or run both of them.

If you want to run both of them come back for additional suggestions of configuring SSIDs, channels, etc.  🙂

edit:  I have a simliar configuration.   I suggest you assign your second router a static IP address, something like 192.168.1.10.  You'd do that in the new router's setup.  You should also configure the Actiontec's DHCP range to avoid where you have the static IP set.  I have my Actiontec DHCP range set to 192.168.x.100-150.

Having the second router on a static IP will allow you to easily manage it from anywhere on your LAN.

MrKal_El
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have this exact setup... I did assign a static IP from the other WAP/switch.... but I did not config the Actiontec's DHCP range away from the static IP.... Does it matter?

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

The only time I can think of it mattering is if the device that's assigned a static IP is offline for a while (for any reason) and the DHCP server assigns that same address to another device.  That conflict would be a problem.

It's safer to exclude a range of IP's that will be used as static from the DHCP server's range.  And, btw, when and if you do that, make sure the DHCP range includes .100-150 to make the system happy when assigning addresses to set top boxes.