FIOS Availability
SteveWhitley
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a friend who works for Verizon in or around the FIOS departments.  He told me that FIOS was going to be made available to Frisco and McKinney Texas in Q1 of this year, but when I check it says it's still not available for my address.

I{edited for privacy} 

I'd really like to get the internet/tv/phone package, and really hope the area is opened very soon.

Can anyone comment on the availability (or go live timeline) of service in this area?

Message Edited by SteveWhitley on 07-27-2009 03:34 PM
Message Edited by ElizabethS on 07-27-2009 04:25 PM
0 Likes
Re: FIOS Availability
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

this is a commonly asked question. and the short answer is.... there is no way to tell you any kind of timeline.

Verizon does not have a public listing on when fios will be in a certain area. In fact, not even the agents know more than 1 day ahead of time when it will be available. Verizon keeps this pretty close to the vest. They say because they want to prevent the competition from going out just before they roll out fios and locking people into contracts.

But the bottom line is that the only thing you can do is go to the Verizon web page and do the search for your address, then sign up for the email notification. They will notify you as soon as its available.

0 Likes
SteveWhitley
Enthusiast - Level 2

I find it difficult to believe that nobody there knows about this.  I know for a fact that at the higher levels over there that this area has been slated for service beginning last quarter. 

If the answer to that commonly asked question is "support never knows until 6 months after an area has been opened" as was the case at my last home (I would call in for support and it took like 6 months of having service before they stopped telling me "but sir, we don't service your area") I can live with that, but the fact of the matter is, that Verizon does have timelines, and they are available if you ask.  The problem is nobody wants to ask above their superior and that's poor support in my opinion.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2
if you had read what I said a little closer you would see that I didnt say that there wasnt a timeline. I said it is not made public. I'm sure there is a timeline available, but they dont make that available to the public and anyone that you can talk to doenst find out until it is available. As I said, this is a commonly asked question and it always gets the same answer. There is not a timeline available that you, me, or the agents that deal with the public have access to.
Message Edited by spacedebris on 07-28-2009 09:01 AM
0 Likes
SteveWhitley
Enthusiast - Level 2

common question or no, public info or not, it would be nice to get a response from verizon.

At my last house (after they finished buring the cable all over town) I had to walk the food chain to what must have been close to the president / CEO of the company before I found someone who could sign me up.  Thing is, I just don't want to have to do that this time around.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
How about this example...

I am in PA (Pennsylvania ), so I go to http://www22.verizon.com/about/community/pa/ and then I click on FTTP Construction Locations

?
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Problem is that it doesnt tell you when. All it tells you is that it will be there at some time. I can do one better than that, according to a Verizon press release, Verizon will have Fios to 70% of its footprint by 2020. Problem is that is not a timeline. What he is asking for and what most people want, is something that says "It will be available on"

Main st.  in  Everyday, USA  in July of 2010.

That type of info

It will be available in all urban verizon area's eventually. The question is when? And that is the question that cannot be answered as Verizon does not release this info to the public.

Message Edited by spacedebris on 07-29-2009 02:44 PM
0 Likes
SteveWhitley
Enthusiast - Level 2

lol

you've missed the forrest for the trees...

in order to provide service to an area, there are a number of things that have to happen.

1. Infrastructure has to be put into place (labor, fiber, support) 
  2. Market analysis has to be done on whether moving into a certain area will be cost effective
  3. Marketing has to be produced
  4. CS reps have to be able to sign folks up

#1. it's already here.  I'm already using it.  They've re-sold their physical infrastructure to AT&T who I currently use (fiber to the curb, copper to the house)
#2-3 has obviously already taken place.  I get ads from verizon to my name and address for fios...  not bulk mail, direct marketing to my address.

the only thing lacking in my situation are the drop outs manning the phones, and the computer they use to sign people up.

MoopMeep
Enthusiast - Level 3
If your friend works for verizon, why not just ask him?
0 Likes
SteveWhitley
Enthusiast - Level 2

when you go to McDonalds, does Jim Skinner (their CEO) take your order, or is it some kid making minimum wage?

If you saw Jim Skinner on the street and asked him for a big mac & fries, do you think he'd be able to whip you up something right there?

When I asked him how I'd get signed up, his response was "call up customer service and order it..."

which  I did...

and obviously didn't get very far...

so obviously the seemingly simple response of "ask your friend" was one that no one would ever think of.

Message Edited by ElizabethS on 07-29-2009 05:50 PM
0 Likes