Fios Battery Beeping
Gage5
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the Fios unit and my battery is now beeping. I have a landline and we've had several power outages over the years.  Anytime the power was out I checked and it never powered my landline.  My neighbor has the same unit and his never worked either during power outages. It's a waste of money to replace the battery.  We were on of the first places to get Fios.  I'm not paying for another battery that doesn't do anything. Verizon needs to reprogram them to stop the beep.  I pay them enough money for cable and phone internet. Articles say to take the battery out and that may stop the beep.  I did that and all night it didn't beep but now the next day it is. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios Battery Beeping
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

You're talking mostly to other users here.

Those old Battery Backup Units (BBU) are being removed by Verizon whenever possible.  I suggest  you contact them via chat and tell them the BBU is malfunctioning.  They will send a technician who will remove it, and will upgrade your ONT if you're still on an old BPON unit.  Make sure you confirm with them if they will charge you for the visit.

Exactly this. Verizon recently replaced my over-a-decade-old ONT (Telelabs 612) with a new (much smaller) black ONT. No charge for the service. At the same time, they removed the old BBU and put an AC / DC converter in its place. That I plugged into a standard UPS. My network stays up for at least 20 minutes when the power goes out. Enough time for me to stop whatever I'm doing gracefully. 

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Those old Battery Backup Units (BBU) are being removed by Verizon whenever possible.  I suggest  you contact them via chat and tell them the BBU is malfunctioning.  They will send a technician who will remove it, and will upgrade your ONT if you're still on an old BPON unit.  Make sure you confirm with them if they will charge you for the visit.

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

Exactly this. Verizon recently replaced my over-a-decade-old ONT (Telelabs 612) with a new (much smaller) black ONT. No charge for the service. At the same time, they removed the old BBU and put an AC / DC converter in its place. That I plugged into a standard UPS. My network stays up for at least 20 minutes when the power goes out. Enough time for me to stop whatever I'm doing gracefully. 

Gage5
Enthusiast - Level 3

I took out the battery and checked it with a volt meter. It read 13 volts. The battery is rated at 12.6 volts.  Put it on a charger and it read 13 volts. Put it back in and the unit shows the battery is fine.  The green lights are on and the beep is gone.  These batteries can be recharged.  I didn't have to do with this one.  I'll see how long it lasts but IM still not paying for a battery that does nothing for my landline. Verizon should charge anyone to disable the beep on this unit.  We pay them enough for their service.  I don't own the ONT I rent it and they should cover all costs. It's no different than the cable box.  It's theirs, not mine.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

A battery could be bad, but still show full voltage when tested by a voltmeter. The trick it to test it under a load situation.

If you were to unplug the AC power, does dial tone stay active for a good while, or does it fail immediately or after a minute or two? 🤔

We used to have a Tellabs 611 ONT here at the house. When the BBU would go into alarm, I would disconnect the harness, wait a minute and then connect it up again. That would resolve the issue for a while.

When we upgraded our Fios services, Verizon swapped out the Tellabs 611 for an Alcatel-Lucent (Nokia) 211. Rather than purchasing the optional PowerReserve unit, I spang for a large Tripp Lite branded UPS that can power the ONT and G3100 router for several hours. 🙂

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you contacted them and asked?  They may come and remove it at no charge.  But you won't know until you ask them.

Gage5
Enthusiast - Level 3

The battery on mine and my neighbors never powered our landlines during power outages.  It's a waste of money. About time they did away with it. Mine battery tested fine and is working fine. But I will not replace it if it goes out again. Theres no way to test this battery under a load that the phone needs.  Its around 50 volts DC

0 Likes
Gage5
Enthusiast - Level 3

By the way, if you unplug the ac power the entire network stops. The ONT needs ac power. Sorry but that's the fact. Everything stops phone internet and cable. It has to stay plugged in.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the BBUs were working properly, the telephone function on both ONTs would remain active...for a while...during power outages.

The workaround is to purchase a UPS and plug the power supply into it.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. Please feel free to open a new thread for further discussion. Thank you.

0 Likes