Fios Battery replacement and lead removal
Freddy320
Enthusiast - Level 1

The battery in the BBU is lighting to be replaced.  I managed to silence the alarm, but wonder if I really need to get new battery.  I only have Fios internet and TV, no phone.  I tried to remove the old battery (it's suprisingly heavy), but the leads seem to be welded on!  I didn't want to tug too hard in case I break something.  Battery is about 3-4 years old.  Other than the cable box having to reboot every time I turn it on, internet and TV are fine.

Do I need to spend $$ for new battery?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Fios Battery replacement and lead removal
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you follow those leads away from the battery and into the unit, you'll see that they are connected to a black or white plug/terminal.   that is a quick release, so you can grab hold of that and wiggle it loose away from the unit, and it will come right out. 

That sometimes is not enough to make the alarm go away.  You sometimes have to disconnect the battery alarm jumper, but that is located in the other box, the ONT.  When you open that, they are labeled.  you find the right one and disconnect it.  

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, you have a couple options.

If you have had service less than a year, then Verizon will replace the batter for free.  

If you have Verizon's Expert Care service then that battery is free for the life of your expert care subscription.

If you have had service over a year, then you have to make yourself a value judgement.  If disconnecting the Jumper is easy for you, then go for it, otherwise if it's not, then go to amazon.com and search for a 12v 7ah sealed lead acid battery.   It's about 12 bucks.  

thegeek
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Freddy320 wrote:

... wonder if I really need to get new battery.  I only have Fios internet and TV, no phone.  

Do I need to spend $$ for new battery?

Thanks.

No you don't need to replace the battery.

The battery backs up dt/phone in event of power loss. Data and visdoe ports are out in 5 minutes.

If your power is out most people aren't using tv and computers.

prisaz
Legend

It also backs up any diagnostic data during power losses. Such diagnostic log data can be used by Verizon to troubleshoot your connection should you have problems. It is not recommended to go without a battery back up, even if you do not have phone service.

hhiwasa

Replace Battery lamp(red) is on and beeps every 15 minutes.  How can I replace the battery and where is it located?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

www.verizon.com/battery

I found those battery's cheapest online at amazon   search 12 v 7.2 ah (you can go upto 8 safely) Sealed Lead Acid Battery and you will find a bunch.

That website will show you what you need to do.