Fios box battery replacement
gcville
Contributor - Level 3

Hello,

Do you charge for a fios box battery replacement??

And do you charge for someone to come out and install?  my mom needs a new one. Need info.

I called in and they just run tests on my Fios. lol  How can i get a human being?? Need help here.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios box battery replacement
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking mostly to other customers here.  If you want to reach Verizon, try their support chat, it often works better than phone.

If you want to replace the battery in the ONT's BBU (battery backup unit), you can purchase one from a variety of places.  Options are big-box home stores, online store or direct from Verizon (link below).  It's easy to replace yourself.  If you search online, look for "fios battery" or similar.

Verizon doesn't come out and replace batteries.  In fact, they discontinued the BBU years ago and actively remove them whenever working on Fios installations.  This is a good thing, as the BBU only powers phone during outages.  You're better off with an external uninterruptible power supply (UPS) to power the ONT and network gear; that way internet will stay up during outages.  Internet is often as important as phone service these days.

Whatever you do, don't let Verizon sell you the "Power Reserve."  That's their official replacement for the BBU.  It's a big box that holds a pile of D-cell batteries.  It has to be turned on manually during an outage, only powers phone and does not support rechargeable batteries.  For $40 (batteries not included), it's an overpriced solution that doesn't work well.  A UPS is a much better investment.

https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-voice-backup-battery

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking mostly to other customers here.  If you want to reach Verizon, try their support chat, it often works better than phone.

If you want to replace the battery in the ONT's BBU (battery backup unit), you can purchase one from a variety of places.  Options are big-box home stores, online store or direct from Verizon (link below).  It's easy to replace yourself.  If you search online, look for "fios battery" or similar.

Verizon doesn't come out and replace batteries.  In fact, they discontinued the BBU years ago and actively remove them whenever working on Fios installations.  This is a good thing, as the BBU only powers phone during outages.  You're better off with an external uninterruptible power supply (UPS) to power the ONT and network gear; that way internet will stay up during outages.  Internet is often as important as phone service these days.

Whatever you do, don't let Verizon sell you the "Power Reserve."  That's their official replacement for the BBU.  It's a big box that holds a pile of D-cell batteries.  It has to be turned on manually during an outage, only powers phone and does not support rechargeable batteries.  For $40 (batteries not included), it's an overpriced solution that doesn't work well.  A UPS is a much better investment.

https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-voice-backup-battery

gcville
Contributor - Level 3

THanks. What does ONT stand for?? i keep seeing that and wondering what that stands for.

i will buy a new battery online and then look up the install on Youtube.  Takes forever to get help by calling in. Took over an hour today on hold. Not sure why there is no way to schedule a callback when calling in. strange.

if it only powers the phone, then maybe i wont get one.  if i  take out the old battery, will the beeping stop? How do i stop that beep every 15 minutes.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

ONT stands for Optical Network Terminal. It converts light signal to electric signal and vice versa. ONT connects to the OLT, Optical Line Terminal, in the nearest Central Office. Central Office connects to the backbone network of Verizon.

At this point, I won't recommend a battery replacement. I would even prefer to replace the BBU with a newer power adapter and buy a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) on your own. A UPS can backup all three services, Internet, phone, and TV if you happen to order them. I bought a $100 CyberPower UPS from Costco last year and it can backup an ONT and a router for 6 hours.

I believe you need to contact an official service representative to buy/send you a newer power adapter.

gcville
Contributor - Level 3

ok, thanks.

If i take the battery out, will the beeping sounds stop??

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't call them.  Use chat.  Much faster, easier and you get a transcript of everything they say.

There are different models of BBU.  Some beep without a battery, some don't.  The "silence" button will stop the beeping, but only for a few hours.

Replacing the battery is easy.  Find the BBU, open the battery door, slide out the old battery, unplug it, plug in the new battery, slide it in, close the door.  Be sure to pay attention to the polarity (red to red, black to black.)

Since you don't care about phone only backup, get Verizon to remove the BBU.  Contact them via chat, not phone.  Aks if you can arrange a free tech visit to replace the BBU with the current power supply.  Then you can install a UPS to power the whole thing.

If they won't do a free visit just to replace the BBU, see if there is something else that will trigger a free visit.  For example, if you're still on a <100Mbps plan with an ancient model ONT, upgrading to gigabit will get you a free tech visit with ONT and BBU replacement.  A later downgrade to 200/200 may end up with a lower cost service, too.  It all depends on your current service speed and plan.

The BBU is connected to the ONT via a special power cable.  The ONT could be right next to the BBU, or it could be mounted outside the building.  If a Verizon tech replaces the BBU, they will take care of all the details.

gcville
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks. Talked with my mom and she wants the battery. i will just get it through Verizon so that i know it fits and i read some bad reviews on other batteries that didnt last long.

So by BBU, you mean the FIOS box? i guess those are synonymous.  i have opened the compartment before and saw the battery there so that is what counts.  I was told i need to pull the power plug first.  are you saying that i just need to replace the battery, and can do that without taking out the power plug on the box? i am not even sure where it is plugged in, but i will figure that out i guess.  Would be better for a verizon tech to do this, but i can try.  

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are TWO Verizon boxes.

The ONT, or Optical Network Terminal, is the device that converts between light on the fiber to electrical signals for phone, TV and internet.  It  may be mounted on an exterior wall inside a large white enclosure.  It could also be mounted inside the home somewhere.  If it's indoors, it might be in a white enclosure, a black enclosure, or even no enclosure.  You don't need to touch the ONT, but it is "the Verizon box" that does all the Fios "magic."

The BBU is the Battery Backup Unit that plugs into the wall.  It houses the battery and power supply for the ONT.  It is always mounted indoors and connects to the ONT via a special cable.  Since it usually has a big "Verizon" label on it, many people mistake it for the ONT.  It is not; it is simply the power supply.

It really isn't hard to replace the battery.  Some googling will likely get you videos that show you how to do it.  In fact, there most likely are instructions and videos on the Verizon site.  Look around; if you can't find anything post back here.  If you insist on having a Verizon tech replace it, they will likely charge you a $150 tech visit fee; hardly worth it for something you can do in 10 minutes or less.

Typically, you don't have to unplug the power cord.  If you do, know that all Fios services will be shut off until you plug it back in and the ONT restarts.

gcville
Contributor - Level 3

Ok, thanks for all the detailed information!  i will take care of this.  If I can fix the regeneration drain hookup for the water softener, i can do this.  Approx time... idk, but i will do it.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

One comment:

Rather than buying from Verizon (which is probably more expensive) see if you have a local battery story like battery warehouse. Take the old battery in to them.

They will give you an exact match at quite probably a cheaper price.