FiOS Business ARP Bug
nextwave
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a FIOS Business customer with a small business network which includes an email server.

We use a Sonicwall internet security device.  When we planned our business internet migration to FIOS, our networking consultant told us that FIOS would not work with the Sonicwall security device because of a protocol the FIOS is using called 'ARP'.

I Googled 'FIOS' and 'ARP' and this seems to be a recurring problem for business clients trying to use a 'business' class firewall. FIOS ARP is something that resides on the Verizon network and pings the end users computer to verify the IP address is valid. ARP pings from IP address of 0.0.0.0. which, as far as any decent firewall is concerned, is perceived as a potential security risk and intrusion.

When FIOS does not get a return ping back from the firewall, FIOS does not negotiate a connection.  So the firewall is working as it is supposed to.

As it stands now, the only way we can use FIOS with our network, would be to remove our firewall from service leaving us wide open to an intrusion. This is not acceptable for us or any other 'business' user.

Calls to Business FIOS tech support were a total waste of time.  No one had any idea what I was talking about and told me that they could only support the 'Actiontech' router that is supplied by Verizon. I do not consider the Actiontech router provided by FIOS to be a suitable network security device.  Further, we were told that we needed to pay extra for 'premium' tech support even though we are a 'Business' client. If we are to use FIOS for our business, we expect it to work with business class hardware.  We have used Sonicwall with several other WAN providers and have had absolutely no problems. Spending 90 minutes on the phone with Verizon people who know nothing about networking is an exercise in frustration.

At this point in time, we need an immediate response from Verizon if we are going to continue with FIOS Business. Without any network security, we have decided to put our business migration to FIOS Business on indefinite hold and we are reconsidering if this is an appropriate service for our business.

OK Verizon, is this something that you can acknowledge? If so, what is the proposed resolution and when will it arrive?'

Tags (2)
Re: FiOS Business ARP Bug
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

I"m thinking this is something Verizon doesn't normally deal with. 

A couple of questions...

Do you also subscribe to Fios video? 

Is your actiontec being fed by Coax or Ethernet?

What were you using for a router before Fios?

0 Likes
nextwave
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your reply. Please see my answers below.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 

I"m thinking this is something Verizon doesn't normally deal with. 

A couple of questions...

Do you also subscribe to Fios video? 

// No

Is your actiontec being fed by Coax or Ethernet?

// Ethernet

What were you using for a router before Fios?

// DSL Service from somone else

0 Likes
Pyao
Contributor - Level 1

Try hooking up FIOS to ActionTech router, and connect your SonicWall to ActionTec as DMZ.

Turn off ActionTech wireless.

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

It was my understanding that business class, especially NEW SERVICE (within 45 days ?), had its own tech support, so calling the FiOS tier 1 residential tech support would be dissappointing.  Tier 1 residential tech support is not trained for anything other than default settings. 

One the other side, what does your business terms of service agreement say? Can verizon (or any company) afford to provide technical support for all possible 3rd party hardware? Do they have teams that come out to set-up your 3rd party equipment? [ the field techs that install the minimal wiring inside your building or the fiber to your building would not be these teams ] ( I have never seen one of their agreements ).  If their agreement says they will, though, of course they have to.  

If you do not have verizon video service there is no real reason to use their router, but if you don't, in the future they will not be able to remote log into your router to test\service it or your computers. 

On the other hand, placing the security device behind the router, instead of in front of the router, should eliminate this issue all together.   The ISP cannot ping your computer if you are using NAT.   They ping your router and your router responds, and your router assigns your internal IP addresses, or you use static IP's inside your network. 

A lot of business and personal account holders use the actiontec and sonic equipment flawlessly. 

Techman28
Master - Level 1
I just wanted to let you know that I am looking into this and it may be a few days before I can actually get an answer just hang in there I will get an answer.
0 Likes
nextwave
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your thoughts so far. The fact is there is a bug in the Alcatel/Lucent cards back in the CO. I discovered this because I never gave up troubleshooting this issue and I managed to get to upper management. There desperately needs to be a Business Class Technical Support Group or FiOS will fail miserably in the business marketplace. This is not meant as a slap, but the technicians supporting FiOS have NO IDEA about Business Class Services and they can only communicate to the network support folks via IM. I even wanted to pay for upgraded support and it's no longer offered. I hope this post will help people who are having the same issue and it's driving them nuts.

fourislanders
I agree and have been trying to get help.  Upper Management just stonewalls.
0 Likes
iheartfios123
Enthusiast - Level 3
Hey OP.. can u get IMs?  If so, how do I send?
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@iheartfios123 wrote:
Hey OP.. can u get IMs?  If so, how do I send?

Go to their profile

For example http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/profile?user.id=7047

and click on "Send this user a private message"

0 Likes