FIOS downloads won't open
peteg2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Download manager delivers files to my hard drive, but they won't open or run.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS downloads won't open
jonjones1
Legend

@peteg wrote:

Download manager delivers files to my hard drive, but they won't open or run.

Ok this is new to me. What download manager? Is it provided by Verizon? Or a application on your own computer or browser?

most browsers download manager can open files via double clicking or right click on the downloaded file and select open. 

You may have a browser or computer issue. Some antivirus programs also will not allow downloads from opening if it feels its a threat. Many variables.

0 Likes
peteg2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks! It is indeed caused by a file protection program, which claims Verizon is adware. I couldn't bypass it, so I tried to remove it, which crashed my laptop and forced me to restore to factory settings. Restored from an external drive, but lost administrator privileges, so I'm back at square one. Geek Squad can't help me until I resume as administrator. All because of some kind of tools FIOS said I should have! Slogging my way back, but still can't run whatever tools FIOS wants me to have.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@peteg wrote:

Thanks! It is indeed caused by a file protection program, which claims Verizon is adware. I couldn't bypass it, so I tried to remove it, which crashed my laptop and forced me to restore to factory settings. Restored from an external drive, but lost administrator privileges, so I'm back at square one. Geek Squad can't help me until I resume as administrator. All because of some kind of tools FIOS said I should have! Slogging my way back, but still can't run whatever tools FIOS wants me to have.

You need no tools from Verizon be it Fios, DSL, Wireless or anything. It’s pure junk.

now what I would do if you still have your backup would be to use the laptops restore function. Usually ctl+F10 ( this could vary) after you set it back as fresh, you then need to get all the operating systems updates (Microsoft or Adobe etc.) after this is done you use the backup external drive to place back purchased programs and files back on your like new laptop. 

Since you restored your system as when first bought you are administrator. You could also simply go into system on your laptop and turn administrator back on.

after this is done, do not add in any antivirus programs offered by Verizon. Especially that crap McAffee they hawk. It does more harm than good.

External back up drives are great when you save files, folders, photos or general documents but when you backup whole system files etc. you many times run into problems.

I use a product called Malewarebytes paid version. That is all you really need.

there are other great products out there as well but I use this one.

Geek squad is in my opinion junk service. My neighbor had it for free with his purchase and they deleted operation files, which they blamed on him. He brought it by to me and after a few hours it was running perfectly.

Restoring your system will take hours, but when you take your time you will learn by doing and feel more confident. Relax take your time and enjoy your learning experience. 😀

peteg2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Perfect!! Thanks so much, Jon!

0 Likes