FIOS Extender creates its own network
MrSoul
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the FIOS GS100 Router and am trying to hook up the FIOS Network Extender using the coax cable. I used the splitter that came with the extender. The other cable off the splitter is hooked to a TV. There are two DVRs interacting with the TV so I know the coax within the house is all connected.

I followed the Quick Start guide and we now have a new available network, the name  listed on the extender label. The extender did not connect to our existing network.  So a laptop next to the extender still has a weak signal from our existing network. 

How do I get the extender to connect to our existing network?

I have checked the forum for this but did not find this exact problem. I also checked the extender manual but honestly did not understand what it was telling me other than only a qualified tech should mess with any settings. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS Extender kills all my wireless connections
MrSoul
Enthusiast - Level 3

This turned out to be my own fault. I placed the splitter between the STB and the TV. I didn't think it would matter but I guess it does. I was speaking to a FIOS tech and noticed my coax light was not on. I explained my wiring setup and he told me the splitter needed to come before the STB.  So now the signal strength downstairs is excellent. Can't wait to try it out outside when the weather is warmer.

View solution in original post

Re: FIOS Extender creates its own network
MrSoul
Enthusiast - Level 3

I spent at least an hour on FIOS chat with a tech who had me unplug my router, replug it in, then connect the extender to the router using the ethernet cable and once that connected, disconnect the extnder and set it back up with the coax.   It didn't work - I still had two networks.   He then had me reset the router which also did not work.  He said the extender might synch up on its own within two days.

And that second network - it turns out that I cannot connect to it wirelessly.

I'll wait two days and if it still hasn'y synched up, I'll call Verizon.

Happy New Year!

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Extender creates its own network
MrSoul
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, it seems like I got it to synch up by following p14 of the manual. I do not see the extender network as a choice anymore. But now whenever the extender is plugged in, I lose all wireless connection!     I called Verizon Support, was told there was an hour wait and that I would get a callback. When I did, the automated operator connected me to a busy signal!!    This extender has turned into a big waste of time and money!   

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you loose the wireless connection, does your WiFi network completely disappear for you? Or do you stay connected to the WiFi but no longer have Internet access?

MrSoul
Enthusiast - Level 3

This turned out to be my own fault. I placed the splitter between the STB and the TV. I didn't think it would matter but I guess it does. I was speaking to a FIOS tech and noticed my coax light was not on. I explained my wiring setup and he told me the splitter needed to come before the STB.  So now the signal strength downstairs is excellent. Can't wait to try it out outside when the weather is warmer.