Re: My Verizon Wi-Fi extender is not connecting to the internet, help?
fiosquestioner
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry - I am a bit confused about all this (and more upset that you guys have more info than the tech support from Verizon).

I understand that a wired connection will be faster than a wireless connection, and moving the extender further from the main router slows down the attainable speed. 

You mention that "Using the E3200 limits your Internet speed to 1 gigabit as it and the G3100 were not designed for multi gigabit service" Fios service maxes out for me around 900 Mbps - so the gigabit limit would not affect internet speed, it might only limit speed within my network, right? And I don't think I would personally notice a limit of Gigabit speed. 

With Fios does one need to use a verizon router? Sounds like a mesh system paired with my own router might make more sense? Unless I want to run ethernet cables around my house. Or a Mesh system with router included. 

If I go with an alternate router and mesh system - any recommendations - that are compatible with Fios? (Then again - I assume every type of router would be compatible with Fios, but maybe I'm wrong about that)

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon is in the process of making Internet speeds faster than 1 gigabit available to Fios subscribers. Right now, it is only available in certain parts of NYC, but will eventually be available to subscribers in other states.

When it does become available, the G3100 & E3200 will still only go as fast as 1 gigabit.

The 1000A router and the tiny extender can support the faster speed.

If you do not subscribe to the traditional Fios cable television services, you don't need to use the 1000A router. You can purchase just about any other modern router (except ones made specifically for cable service providers such as Comcast, Cox and so forth). I, myself used to use  Linksys routers & extenders before switching to the Verizon 3100 & 3200.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some corrections and extensions on Dexman's answer.

An E3200 cannot be wirelessly backhauled to a CR1000A is due to both technical and administrative constraints. CR1000A broadcasts one 5GHz band and one 6GHz band, while E3200 broadcasts two 5GHz bands. While it is technically possible to establish a wireless backhaul on the 5GHz band, this would leave CR1000A with no 5GHz band to serve 5GHz client devices. There are client device capable of 6GHz, but those are minorities right now.

When E3200s are installed with a CR1000A, the preferred backhaul should be coax instead of Ethernet. While it is true that MoCA adds a 3ms ping, it supports a multigigabit uplink of 2.5Gbps, as opposed to a 1Gbps Ethernet link. CR1000A is a 10Gbps capable router and is designed for the multigigabit Fios rollout up to 8.2Gbps in the near future. To not introduce bottlenecks in the path to the Internet, a higher uplink speed should always take precedence over a lower uplink speed.

A mesh system is perhaps worse than a system with multiple Fios Extenders backhauled with coax. Each mesh node introduces a 3ms ping. So if your path to the edge router traverses two nodes wirelessly, you would get an additional delay of 3ms + 3ms = 6ms! Fios Extenders, when backhauled with coax to the edge router, have a maximum delay of 3ms for the MoCA signal translation.

Re: Fios extender not working...
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. Please feel free to open a new thread for further discussion. Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Fios extender not working...
Gue224
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got mine, the same way. As long as it is connected to the router via ethernet it works. If disconnected an used as a wireless extender, which was the whole idea, solid green light comes on. It will not connect to the router and not provide Wifi. No solution yet.

0 Likes