FIOS File Sharing M424WR
bill_g

I have a M424WR router with a desktop-Windows XP and a laptop Windows Vista. I used to have DSL, and was able to share files. Since I have FIOS, shared folders are not recognized. I had a tech guy come out and he replaced router, cables, etc, He thought that the Actiontec router needs to be reconfigured. When I try change settings in Windows, I loose the Internet and have to reset the router. What can I do get my file sharing up? Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS File Sharing M424WR
bwilson2901

I have the same setup-XP desktop and Vista laptop and could only file share from the laptop to the desktop, not visa-versa.  When I tried to send from the desktop to the laptop, the internet would shut down necessitating a full modem reset with the bent paper clip.  After some searching I found that the McAfee Security Center on the desktop was firewalling the laptop's IP address.  Once I set this IP as safe, file sharing worked again.  You might want to check your firewall.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Try connecting the laptop wired and see if file sharing works then. If it does, then go back to wireless and see if it continues to work.

I know it doesn't make sense but I lost file sharing after having it work for a long time using a Belkin router on Charter Cable and then on FiOS (I have had FiOS internet for over 4 years, Verizon did not have the Actiontec then) . When I got the Actiontec a year and a half ago, at some point sharing quit working (or maybe it never worked with the Actiontec, I don't know, I don't share all that often). Anyway, in desperation I turned off the wireless adapter on the laptop and connected it using a cat 5 cable, and I did not have to do anything, sharing just magically worked. And when I went back to wireless it continued to work for almost a year. Then it quit working again, I did the wired thing again and it has continued to work wirelessly since then.

I don't understand why that makes it work for me, but it does. It can't hurt to try it.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
bill_g

Thanks, I tried both suggestions and it still does not work.Any others?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@bill_g wrote:

Thanks, I tried both suggestions and it still does not work.Any others?

Unfortunately not many.

Since you said this worked with DSL, are you sure the settings on both PCs are unchanged? Maybe we should start with some basic questions:

1) What is the LAN IP address for each PC? (192.168.x.x)

2) What is the Workgroup name for each PC? (my experience is that they must be the same for sharing to work)

3) Are you using a firewall on either or both PCs? If so, have you tried temporily turning them off on both?

4) Have you tried turning sharing off on both PCs and then turning it on again? (I have no idea if this might have any effect, just grasping for straws)

5) Do you still have the modem that you used with DSL that you could hook the desktop up to and try to access from the laptop to see if file sharing still works that way? (No need to connect to the internet or whatever, just trying to see if the old setup still works)

6) I guess a stupid question, but are you sure sharing is still active on the PCs?

Maybe with answers to the above someone will see something - maybe even me. I must admit I am pretty much at a loss right now.

One comment - I did not do any customization on my Verizon Actiontec router to get file sharing to work, I really don't think there are any settings that need to be changed.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
bill_g

I finally got it. It was my Norton Firewall security. I turned it off and it still did not work but when I put in my IP addresses as trusted, both the Firewall worked and I was able to see my shared folders.

0 Likes