FiOS G3100: Does it support NAS?
VAer168

I used to post some threads related to FiOS router on Verizon forum, but I could not find my previous account. It is strange that system asks me to create a new screen name. I did change Verizon billing account User ID/Password, but that should not be the reason to remove my previous forum account information.

Anyway, let me get straight into my questions.

I am thinking about to get a simple NAS (home server) , so that all devices can connect to one data source, rather than copy/paste some data into different device.

I just heard that it may work if connecting external hard drive to router UBS port directly.

1) Does PC have to connect to router (FiOS G3100) WiFi network (if I connect external hard drive to router) in order to access the drive? Currently, I connect all devices to Google WiFi (which Google WiFi device is connected to FiOS G3100), so all devices are not connected to router directly. It is easier to manage device via Google app.

2) Is router NAS reliable? How is the speed (read/write)?

3) Any external hard drive is fine? I may buy an used one on ebay or get a new one from Costco.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS G3100: Does it support NAS?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I personally don't know if the G3100 supports NAS.  Even if it does, I still wouldn't use it.  A standalone NAS from a vendor like Western Digital or Buffalo is going to work better, be better supported and offer more features.  Heck, even a Raspberry Pi with NAS software is a better choice in my opinion.  I simply don't want my router to take on functions unrelated to it's core task of securely moving packets between my various devices.

As for which hard drive to choose, know that a desktop class drive won't be rated to last as long nor will it support as broad a temperature range when compared to a dedicated NAS drive.  Depending on how you plan to use the NAS, this may be fine.  For example, if the drive holds a 2nd or 3rd backup of data that wouldn't be critical if lost, a desktop drive can work well and save you a few dollars.  If the data on the drive doesn't exist anywhere else and is important, you'd want a high reliability NAS drive.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I personally don't know if the G3100 supports NAS.  Even if it does, I still wouldn't use it.  A standalone NAS from a vendor like Western Digital or Buffalo is going to work better, be better supported and offer more features.  Heck, even a Raspberry Pi with NAS software is a better choice in my opinion.  I simply don't want my router to take on functions unrelated to it's core task of securely moving packets between my various devices.

As for which hard drive to choose, know that a desktop class drive won't be rated to last as long nor will it support as broad a temperature range when compared to a dedicated NAS drive.  Depending on how you plan to use the NAS, this may be fine.  For example, if the drive holds a 2nd or 3rd backup of data that wouldn't be critical if lost, a desktop drive can work well and save you a few dollars.  If the data on the drive doesn't exist anywhere else and is important, you'd want a high reliability NAS drive.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@VAer168 wrote:

I just heard that it may work if connecting external hard drive to router UBS port directly.

Where did you hear this? G3100's USB ports do recognize mass storage/block devices. I believe they are USB 3.2 Gen 1. But, there are likely no firmware operations to open samba or counterparts to accept network drive connections.

VAer168

@Cang_Household

"Where did you hear this? "

Not sure how to quote. I said: I heard that some routers can be turned into NAS (if connecting to external hard drive). I did not say if it is true for G3100. 

I was asking if G3100 has the feature.

0 Likes