fios gigabit connection speed problems
VJR3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just had fios gigabit connection installed with static IP address. Do speed test from PC that can support gigabit but get low speed. Will get different results like one test show 676/463, as it testing the speed go higher but drop back down.  Did get one test from same PC later that day of 863/588  Called Verizon did some testing with them. They saw the low speed test they worked with network engineer and said there was problem, tech came out next day and did test from router, the verizon tech got 721/922 on his tablet. He said that over 700 was good for the service. We called Verizon they said minimum download should be 750 waiting for tech to come out again has anyone had this problem?

0 Likes
Re: fios gigabit connection speed problems
jonjones1
Legend

Speed test vary from device to device, time of day, hardwire connection or even the NIC cards in the devices. Wifi is not acceptable to verizon for such tests.

verizon claims UP TO 940/880 however your provisioning might not be set correctly and fios can fix that from the engineering department when you call.

there is no “its good at 700 or lower” if you were paying for gigabyte then get gigabyte. If you were paying for 700/700 then you can say its ok, but you are not.

took verizon three days (due to a weekend) to get me up to speed.

VJR3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon tech tested at router with no other devices connect and he got 721 as down load and said that acceptable for the Gigabit service per verizon support.  

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@VJR3 wrote:

Verizon tech tested at router with no other devices connect and he got 721 as down load and said that acceptable for the Gigabit service per verizon support.  

That maybe what verizon states, however in todays marketing it is a sweetner when companies state “up to” which i stated earlier. That “up to 940/880” covers the language of 700+ and since people including me dont need that type of speed it just rolls off my back. Coming from a cable connection of 15/1 for a gazillion years, the 150/150 and the FiOS gigabyte is a treat.

0 Likes