Fios gigabit speed
Riazm

Ok so i signed up recently for verizon gigbit speed. i am not getting anyting close to this espeicaly on wirless. All of my devices are connected via wireless, but i have a Ipad 2017 and it does support Ac. i did a speed test using several service and the most i was able to get was a littlle more than 300mb and that was the first time. Most of time i am getting 175mb average. i ran the speed test via verizon speedtest website and it says that i am getting over 900 mb, but i think this test is just what they support, but not what is sent to your device.  What can i do to increase my wireless speed. i have a netgear nighthawk that can support 1.3gig on the 5g band. 

0 Likes
Re: Fios gigabit speed
jonjones1
Legend

@Riazm wrote:

Ok so i signed up recently for verizon gigbit speed. i am not getting anyting close to this espeicaly on wirless. All of my devices are connected via wireless, but i have a Ipad 2017 and it does support Ac. i did a speed test using several service and the most i was able to get was a littlle more than 300mb and that was the first time. Most of time i am getting 175mb average. i ran the speed test via verizon speedtest website and it says that i am getting over 900 mb, but i think this test is just what they support, but not what is sent to your device.  What can i do to increase my wireless speed. i have a netgear nighthawk that can support 1.3gig on the 5g band. 

The wireless speed is around 300/300 at a best test. Wifi is not Ethernet connected to the router. In fact no iPhone or iPad can be run over Ethernet. The wireless radios in any device may not be able to get top notch speeds. If you connect to the router it should be close to 900+/880 or there about.

the speed test at Verizon will be higher since you are using a closed network. However if you test from a site like Ookla  http://www.speedtest.net 

make sure it is Ethernet connected to a computer desktop or laptop. You will be surprised at the real speed you have which is with route congestion, missing hops, bad pings or bad tracert. This is because you are accessing the real network of internet connections.

speed is not ever guaranteed.

0 Likes
LTJP

Have you tried a wired test? I just had a  router that registered only 25mb on 2.4. Thought there was something wrong with Verizon. Finally got a replacement and turns out the router was bad. But I only suspected that once I ran the wired test.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

The original poster stated they are using their own router which is a netgear.

doubtful they will spend another $200-$300 on a replacement.

They must have taken my answer since they did not reply back.

0 Likes