FIOS having connectivity issues with some sites/apps
ChiF

Hello I have a gig FIOS connection. Since last week I am having issues where a particular site or app will refuse to load, the biggest being youtube app on my android TV, it loads a page and once i start browsing around it shows the loading circle for a long time and then it loads the rest of the content.

Same thing happens on my iphone connected to wifi, if i search something on google, it sometime doesnt search at all, but if i close the tab open a new one and search it works.

What I have noticed is all these issues go away as soon as I connect to VPN, everything runs smoothly without any hang ups.

I thought may be it was the issue with verizon DNS, so I switched DNS on my router to google, cloudflare and others for testing but that did not help. The only surefire solution is to connect to VPN. But I cant use netflix, amazon prime video etc while connected to VPN, so I am having to switch between VPN and no VPN based on what I am trying to do.

Has anyone faced something similar? what could be causing this? and what should I try to resolve this?

Thank you for your help in anyway!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS having connectivity issues with some sites/apps
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

To reboot the ONT, find the power supply and disconnect it from the outlet it's plugged into. If the ONT has a battery, disconnect that as well. That's all you need to do to reboot it.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is this issue also present on the Ethernet connected devices?

ChiF

Yes it does, My NVIDIA shield TV is connected to the router with a wired connection. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are there any networking devices besides your router? For example, do you have a network video recorder or alike?

ChiF

No I do not. the only networking equipment is the router connected to the ONT device (which is in the closet)

I have a verizon supplied router (the white trash can looking thing) but since I already had Asus AX86 router I have been using that instead for past 6 months. I thought may be it had something to do with the Asus router to I switched the router and connected the verizon branded one but that didnt solve my issue. Even with Verizon branded router I was getting the weird connectivity issues. It almost feels like losing connectivity for 10-15 seconds at a time, so if i search something on google, sometimes it works flawlessly and sometimes it takes 10-15 seconds of wait for google to show results.

I also opened the closet and checked if there are any lose wires with the ONT device, unplugged and plugged the ethernet cable connected to the ONT device. My next plan is to reboot ONT device but I am not sure how to do it as there are no buttons on that thing.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

To reboot the ONT, find the power supply and disconnect it from the outlet it's plugged into. If the ONT has a battery, disconnect that as well. That's all you need to do to reboot it.

tcasey0467
Enthusiast - Level 1

If the apps are not working on an Android device(s) try disabling IPv6 - in your router, Advanced Settings > Network Settings > IPv6. Then reboot the router. This resolved my issue. Android having some issues with IPv6

Here's an explainer:
(1) IPv6 still causing issues on Android on Home Network : ipv6 (reddit.com)

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes