FiOS Installation problem -- Asbestos Siding
mm_h
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi everyone. I recently ordered FiOS internet service after my Verizon Hi-Speed DSL bill went up significantly. When the tech came out to do the installation, he told me that he couldn't drill through the asbestos siding on my house and that I would have to do so myself. He also said that he would not run any Cat5 cables in my attic because the attic is not lit and does not have flooring.

The tech wanted me to drill through my wall myself into a spot in my living room where the Power Supply would be very conspicuous. However, there are a few spots futher down the outside wall where it would be possible to drill into the wall without disturbing any of the asbestos tiles and without making the OPSU the focal point of my living room. Thus, I would like to have the ONT installed in a different place than the tech was willing to install it. The tech indicated that he could not install the ONT where I wanted him to because (1) the buried drop cable was not long enough to reach that spot on the house and (2) he could not extend the hard-wired power cord from the OPSU (power supply) more than 4 feet. 

I am wondering if anyone who has had similar experiences can tell me if I can push to either have (1) Verizon extend the buried drop cable or (2) the tech run the hard-wired power from the OPSU a bit longer than 4 feet.

I have tried to ask these questions to Verizon employees but have mostly been passed around from tech support to customer service to billing. What I would like to know is how much authority I have to get the installation done the way  I want it. Thank you in advance; any help or advice would be appreciated!

--mmh

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS Installation problem -- Asbestos Siding
mm_h
Enthusiast - Level 2

UPDATE:  A second technician just arrived and is installing the ONT and OPSU exactly where I wanted them. He confirmed that the Power Supply and the Backup Battery unit can be installed up to 50 away from the ONT. As a bonus, he also helped me to run wire through a small part of my attic, although I got up there myself to pull the cable. 

The tech was very very nice and very helpful; he seemed much more willing to do the job than the first tech. He even helped me run some coax cable extra for an antenna, and put on a dual coax/ethernet faceplate for my wall.

So, my advice is that if you do not get the install options you want, stop the order and have Verizon send out another tech. 

View solution in original post

Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

The only real issue is that the ONT needs to be within 20 feet of the electrical ground or the main water line feed. If your line is buried and does not meet one of those requirements than it would need to be rerun. The power needs to be installed within 50ft of the ONT. You can drill through the asbestos tiles if you spray shaving cream where you want to drill the hole a wear a mask.

mm_h
Enthusiast - Level 2

imageThanks, Telcoguru. The other part of the issue though is that the tech wanted me to drill right through the wall into my living room. There is a closet about 10 ft. away that would be a better spot for the OPSU, but the fiber optic cable coming in from the street will not reach that far. I will have to have the fiber optic cable extended unless the tech can actually run the power cord from the OPSU longer than he said. So, I'm hearing you say that the tech *can* run the power cord longer than four feet, is that right? 

Thanks again for your help!

0 Likes
mm_h
Enthusiast - Level 2

UPDATE:  A second technician just arrived and is installing the ONT and OPSU exactly where I wanted them. He confirmed that the Power Supply and the Backup Battery unit can be installed up to 50 away from the ONT. As a bonus, he also helped me to run wire through a small part of my attic, although I got up there myself to pull the cable. 

The tech was very very nice and very helpful; he seemed much more willing to do the job than the first tech. He even helped me run some coax cable extra for an antenna, and put on a dual coax/ethernet faceplate for my wall.

So, my advice is that if you do not get the install options you want, stop the order and have Verizon send out another tech.