FIOS installed last week, connection keeps cutting out
nnp4145

So here's my situation,

I have the 9100EM router and have no problem connecting to the wireless network that it is broadcasting. What's happening is the little globe icon keeps turning off for periods as little as 10 minutes to as long as several hours and this is happening multiple times a day!

This isn't normal right? Restarting the router does nothing. Is there anything I can do to keep my connection constant? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

I upgraded from a 768k/128 DSL.. and the DSL was more reliable!

0 Likes
Re: FIOS installed last week, connection keeps cutting out
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Welcome to the club. It is a well documented issue here. Don't listen to the Verizon employees here because they will blame Vista.

It is not a Vista problem.  Problem is with both the Actiontech and Westell Routers.

See my thread below. It is well documented there.

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&thread.id=2264

0 Likes
nnp4145

Well, I took a glance at that thread but thought mine problem might be different because I was using XP not Vista...? Or is it the same?

I have no problems with wireless signals dropping or anything just hat globe keeps disappearing.

Do I need to get one of those TrendNet signal boosters people were talking about?

0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1
If you aren't losing connection then I wouldn't worry about it.  It is what it is, a disappearing globe.  That thread is discussing loss of the internet some people are experiencing due to the wireless signal from the Actiontec router to a Vista machine. 
0 Likes
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am currently using the Actiontech using DZWR's solution and it seems ok so far.

The globe goes in and out but I do  not lose internet connection. When I do a speed test, the get the same results 20/5 with or without the globe being on.

The difference however is this. When the globe is on, web pages come up in a snap of a second.   When the globe is off, there is a "slight' lag period from when you click on a page and when it appears on the screen.

I have tried every possible solution to make the globe stay on but it just comes on initially when I turn on the computer and then it goes away. 

I do also notice when when I am using streaming audio/video such as Hulu etc., the globe stays on all the time. I suspect that video then is recognizing internet connectivity through the streaming media thus the globe stays on and says (Local and internet") and when I turn off streaming media, the globe eventually goes to "Local only" even though I can still access the internet.

Just my take.

0 Likes
iheartfios123
Enthusiast - Level 3
I'm in a non-fios location right now and don't have a globe... I'm on Vista, but it's a peculiar little issue.  🙂
0 Likes
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Interesting.

When I had Comcast a few months ago, the globe was on all the time 24/7.

A friend of mine who uses Sprint Broadband and his globe is on all the time.

Both of us are Vista users.

0 Likes
iheartfios123
Enthusiast - Level 3
It's weird.  I'm out of town right now and she has a company called "Insight".  I'm using her wireless connection.  I'll put my broadband (Verizon) card in later and see what happens.
0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

Its a Vista bug, I had it on one of my machines when I was with Cox Cable.  Even found this thread http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=156035 where someone else thought it was their ISP as well:

"Happens on my vista laptop often, only with wireless though. I always figured it was a Telkom/ISP issue though. It does however still access the internet on occasion - very odd..."

0 Likes
nnp4145

Like I said, I don't have Vista. I use XP.

I called tech support and they're telling me it's a problem with my power being intermittent to the box (in my garage) so it keeps switching between AC power and back up battery which will cut off my internet to conserve power for emergency telephone use. So I switched the power to a different socket in a different outlet of my house.

I don't really think that is the problem though, because when I reset the box (cut off all power then turn it back on) the MoCa light goes on (meaning the globe on my router is lit) and the internet works. About 5-10 minutes later the MoCa light goes back off and internet stops working. I've reset it a few times and it's still doing that. Although this time it seems to be holding (been 15 minutes). I'm crossing my fingers.

Seems like a problem on their end...

0 Likes