Fios internet 15Mbps/3Mbps? ---- Trouble in DFW area....... Verizon please help.....
RacerD
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I finally got the **bleep** in-home agent thing installed and you can run Verizon's speed test from there. 

I got:

download - .5mbps

upload - 15.8 mbps

That is not good and certainly not what I'm paying for.  I just can't even stomach another phone call through tech support.  I could tell that girl last night was just reading from a script and had no clue.  I just loved the final response that I should call Dell. Yeah right.  It is NOT my freaking computer.  Something is up with the network.  How do we get some responsiveness out of them?  Can we put a trouble ticket in online?   

I'm in Keller on FIOS.....if anyone from Verizon is reading this. 

Deanne

Re: Fios internet 15Mbps/3Mbps? ---- Trouble in DFW area....... Verizon please help.....
prisaz
Legend

@RacerD wrote:

Well I finally got the **bleep** in-home agent thing installed and you can run Verizon's speed test from there. 

I got:

download - .5mbps

upload - 15.8 mbps

That is not good and certainly not what I'm paying for.  I just can't even stomach another phone call through tech support.  I could tell that girl last night was just reading from a script and had no clue.  I just loved the final response that I should call Dell. Yeah right.  It is NOT my freaking computer.  Something is up with the network.  How do we get some responsiveness out of them?  Can we put a trouble ticket in online?   

I'm in Keller on FIOS.....if anyone from Verizon is reading this. 

Deanne

These forums are monitored. But as stated everywhere they are peer to peer. Perhaps one of the techs will comment. I will point out this thead. You could try here. There is a direct support forum board at DSLR. But Verizon says to use the contact us link found at the bottom of each page here the Verizon Community.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

0 Likes
Re: Fios internet 15Mbps/3Mbps? ---- Trouble in DFW area....... Verizon please help.....
bainstorm
Enthusiast - Level 2

It seems to be only on the inbound routing, and these routers seem to be the problem:

P12-0.DLLSTX-LCR-03.verizon-gni.net with 12% packet loss

P15-0.DLLSTX-LCR-05.verizon-gni.net with 15% packet loss

P14-0-0.DLLSTX-LCR-07.verizon-gni.net with 5% packet loss

Hopefully someone fixes this soon, because I've spent enough hours on the phone with Verizon reps and I don't have the time or inclination to do that again.

0 Likes
RacerD
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I used the online chat today and the representative is sending me a new router.  Not sure if that will fix the problem but it was his first shot at trying to rule things out so we'll see.   My speed tests were pathetic.  Try the online chat support. At least you can do other stuff while you wait on them.  I refuse to get on the phone anymore......

0 Likes
bainstorm
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I tried calling - at first the guy was giving me all sorts of reasons why he couldn't help me: "you need an RWIN greater than a million", "other machines on your network are the problem".  Finally, I had a computer connected directly to the Verizon installed lan plug, explained to him that I always get my rated speed (25/25) and that it has been this way since the storm came through last week or whenever it was and he responded "you say that you got those speeds, but how do I know you're not lying", said he was connecting me to the next level tech support and disconnected the call.

So, like I said before, I know better than to call Verizon for help or service.

Anyway, I've run a couple of speed tests and now they're switching duplexes on me: if it runs at full duplex, I get lousy inbound speeds:

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 25.25Mb/s 

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 1.73Mb/s 

------ Client System Details ------ 

OS data: Name = Mac OS X, Architecture = i386, Version = 10.5.8 

Java data: Vendor = Apple Inc., Version = 1.5.0_24 

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------ 

Client Receive Window detected at 66608 bytes. 

45 Mbps T3/DS3 link found. 

Link set to Full Duplex mode 

Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic. 

Good network cable(s) found 

Normal duplex operation found. 

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 12.29 msec; the Packet size = 1448 Bytes; and 

There were 155 packets retransmitted, 539 duplicate acks received, and 598 SACK blocks received 

The connection stalled 19 times due to packet loss 

The connection was idle 4.18 seconds (34.83%) of the time 

This connection is sender limited 3.01% of the time. 

This connection is network limited 96.99% of the time. 

and then I run a second one and it gets handled in half duplex and get a decent speed, still with lots of retries:

SendBufferSize set to [131768] 

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 25.45Mb/s 

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 25.32Mb/s 

------ Client System Details ------ 

OS data: Name = Mac OS X, Architecture = i386, Version = 10.5.8 

Java data: Vendor = Apple Inc., Version = 1.5.0_24 

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------ 

Client Receive Window detected at 524280 bytes. 

45 Mbps T3/DS3 link found. 

Link set to Half Duplex mode 

No network congestion discovered. 

Good network cable(s) found 

Normal duplex operation found. 

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 105.3 msec; the Packet size = 1448 Bytes; and 

There were 133 packets retransmitted, 1064 duplicate acks received, and 1083 SACK blocks received 

The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time 

This connection is receiver limited 2.21% of the time. 

This connection is sender limited 94.13% of the time. 

This connection is network limited 3.66% of the time. 

Call me crazy, but I believe Verizon is flat out acting in bad faith.
0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK ... but only since you asked ... you're crazy.

Looking at what you posted, I am more likely to believe that you have a faulty network card / cable or router.   The duplex setting is a reflection of what the local system is reporting as it's connection method to the router.   This is not a case of Verizon switching this, it's a negotiation thing that happens automatically between two pieces of hardware in the local network.   In reality, nothing other than a full duplex connection should really be seen unless you have a hub or some other piece of equipment which necessitates a half-duplex connection.

The tech support person may not have been entirely off base on the "other systems" comment if you have any attached (including STB's).   Something out there could be inappropriately injecting garbage packets on the network.   The switch should be filtering them out, but who knows. 

So, I'd recommend that you power down and unplug every piece of computer equipment and STB you have, as well as the router and check all network cable connections.   Then disconnect the battery from the battery backup unit and unplug the battery backup for 30 seconds to power down the ONT.   Then power up the ONT, reconnect the battery, power up the router, startup one and only one PC and do your testing and see what results you get.

bainstorm
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I'm crazy, but not in regard to Verizon's handling of this problem.  There is a whole thread on dslreports.com at 

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24789999-DFW-router-hosed

full of people commenting about the same type of problems in this area, and how verizon reps have been telling them that no one else in the area is reporting trouble.  As I type this, I notice that my inbound routing has changed, I'm not currently hitting the 3 lossy routers, although things are still dicey around here.  The idea that the DFW area would have routing problems is not beyond the pale of a doubt, considering we got sideswiped by that tropical storm that went north just to the west of us, along with a few tornados in the DFW area that  day and about 8 inches of rain in a day in some areas.

I can run a fairly good test using some of the m-lab servers, none of the verizon speedtest servers seem to be working well tonight.  I can run a shaperprobe test (more for testing for traffic shaping, but I was using it just to throw stuff down the pipe), one run looks like this:

/Volumes/ShaperProbe\ 2/ShaperProbe ; exit;
DiffProbe beta release. October 2009.
Shaper Detection Module.
Connected to server 64.9.225.153.
Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 9980 Kbps.
Downstream: 26155 Kbps.
The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.
Checking for traffic shapers:
Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 9744 Kbps.
Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 25648 Kbps.
For more information, visit: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe
logout
[Process completed]

which shows good upload (it is downstream to their server) and so so download speed (uploaded from them to me) and then the same test a second later and I get this:

DiffProbe beta release. October 2009.

Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 80.239.142.202.

Estimating capacity:

Upstream: 9874 Kbps.

Downstream: 25735 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.

Median received rate: 9706 Kbps.

Downstream: Measurement aborted due to high packet loss rate.

For more information, visit: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

logout

[Process completed]

where the test fails because of packet loss (two different servers, two different routes, the one server gets routed to me through the lossy routers).  
Now, Verizon knows this, why not just let people who call know?  Tell them "yeah, we got a couple of hosed routers, were working on it" instead of "nope haven't heard of any problems in your area, it must be you!"  Better yet, be proactive and let your customers know about the problem and that you are working on it.

But, yes, those are good troubleshooting steps you offered, I've done all of them, turning off the ONT for a few minutes, tried 3 different routers and am now using a single iMac connected directly to the internet.  I'm pretty sure its on Verizon's end.