fios internet and linksys routher
Belleaimee

I recently switched from Verizon DSL to Verizon FIOS internet. I specifically ask the tech person not to change my existing home network seup.  It was changed anyway.My Linksys router was taken out of the equation.  My home network consisted of a full tower computer, a desktop computer, a laptop and an Xbox 360. My desktop computer and the Xbox 360 were hard wired to a Linksys wireless broadband router and the laptop and full tower computer were wireless.  I would like to put the Linksys router back into the equation. Verizon installed a Westell 9100EM modem/router. The modem  is using a multimedia over coax( MOCA) connection. How do I go about putting my Linksys back into my home network? I know this modem is going to need to be reconfigured.

2 computers are using Windows XP with SP3 and the laptop has Windows Vista.

Can anyone help me with this? 

Thanks 

0 Likes
Re: fios internet and linksys routher
prisaz
Legend

@Belleaimee wrote:

I recently switched from Verizon DSL to Verizon FIOS internet. I specifically ask the tech person not to change my existing home network seup.  It was changed anyway.My Linksys router was taken out of the equation.  My home network consisted of a full tower computer, a desktop computer, a laptop and an Xbox 360. My desktop computer and the Xbox 360 were hard wired to a Linksys wireless broadband router and the laptop and full tower computer were wireless.  I would like to put the Linksys router back into the equation. Verizon installed a Westell 9100EM modem/router. The modem  is using a multimedia over coax( MOCA) connection. How do I go about putting my Linksys back into my home network? I know this modem is going to need to be reconfigured.

2 computers are using Windows XP with SP3 and the laptop has Windows Vista.

Can anyone help me with this? 

Thanks 

If your Westell router is connected via coax, you will need to keep it for the connection. Unless you attemp to do some custom configurations and get Verizon to switch your ONT to Ethernet. Since your Linksys does wireless you can disable the wireless on the Westell and plug your Linksys WAN port into a LAN port on the Westell. Remember that anything on your Westell router will not be able to talk to items connected to your Linksys. What is your reason for wanting to use the Linksys ? Wireless speed and signal strength? Here is a link that has some information. If your only reson is for Wireless signal quality then what I have sugested will work. Otherwise you can see information on this link or stay with the new router, and adjust your hardware to work with it.

http://www.verizonfioswiki.com/index.php/Using_Your_Own_Router#FiOS_TV.2C_coax_only

If your Vista laptop is wireless you may have issues and need to do a search for the thread on the forum regarding this. All else should be fine.

Message Edited by prisaz on 03-01-2009 06:10 PM
0 Likes