Fios Internet and phone with Bridge Mode
Kangioman

I plan to switch from xfinity to Fios. No TV, just gigabyte internet and phone. I currently have two Linksys Triband EA9500 routers. My X1 xfinity modem is in bridge mode, with LAN-WAN connection to one Linksys in main part of house, the other Linksys is connected LAN-WAN via CAT7, located in a  detached office space.  

Reading various posts, it sounds like using your own routers is not as straight forward with Fios. However, I will not be using TV remote or streaming, just a phone connection.

Any issues? Do I need to first use a Fios router, in bridge mode, and connect its LAN to my router WAN? Will I be able to duplicate the setup I currently have?

Just trying to anticipate any problems before the big switch!

0 Likes
Re: Fios Internet and phone with Bridge Mode
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since you are planning on using only FIOS Internet, you do not need to use the Verizon router.

They should not install Moca but if they do, points to

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/15990

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/15991

Other thing(s) to be aware of:

#1 It is recommended to have them install their router and make sure that everything works. Then you are free to switch to your own router after you have an ethernet connection to the ONT.

#2 They will only support you from their end to the ONT after you switch to using your own router.

Kangioman

Thanks for the prompt response! I will follow your advice and have the installer connect their router, and then later replace with mine. Because we have not had Fios at our house before, I am hoping they will run an ethernet connection instead of the Moca. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The techs won't run MoCa if you're ordering Gigabit Internet. The MoCa solution is often suggested in scenarios where people don't want to run CAT5e or can't for some reason or another - as such it's a solution I would avoid anyways. The tech will just need to know where you want your router. Be aware they won't fish CAT5e through walls. They'll go through the walls/floors and along baseboards.

Kangioman

So the pre-install tech came by the house. He mentioned they would run fiber to the outside junction box of our existing Xfinity cable (which we are getting rid of). They would then use the same coaxial line from there to the modem (located in the middle of the house) and replace the xfinity modem with their router. I already have Cat7 lines running from there to where my second router will be located, and also to a work computer in basement. I am assuming this will still provide the maximum bandwidth? Hopefully it will be an “easy” install!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are getting internet speeds above 100M they will need ethernet from location of ONT (where the fiber terminates) to the location of your router.

If you are getting TV service as well, they will use the coax to provide that. In addtion, router would need to connect to coax to provide Internet to master STB to allow for guide and VOD.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Kangiomann wrote:

So the pre-install tech came by the house. He mentioned they would run fiber to the outside junction box of our existing Xfinity cable (which we are getting rid of). They would then use the same coaxial line from there to the modem (located in the middle of the house) and replace the xfinity modem with their router.

The "pre-install" tech doesn't know what they are talking about.  Their job is to run the fiber to the home, nothing more.  The install tech will take care of installing the ONT, it's power supply, run the fiber from the coil the pre-install tech to the ONT, and  run the needed cables to connect to the router.

As CRobGauth and others have noted, 1Gbps speed requires Ethernet from the ONT to the router.

The install tech will take care of you.