Fios Internet and the new Google Wifi mesh routers
donutman925

I'm wondering if anyone with fios internet has bought the new Google wifi mesh routers and are using them with the fios G1100 router?

Also is there a way to shut the wireless off on this router and use google's wifi mesh routers instead?

0 Likes
Re: Fios Internet and the new Google Wifi mesh routers
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Haven't done it, but there are some general things to consider when using an extra router.

1) You want to use the router as a bridge not as a router. If you don't, you will be unable to use the app as a remote for your stbs.

2) Are you having an issue with wifi coverage? It may be cheaper to just get an extra router as a bridge vs google mesh. I believe they aren't cheap.

jonjones1
Legend

@donutman925 wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone with fios internet has bought the new Google wifi mesh routers and are using them with the fios G1100 router?

Also is there a way to shut the wireless off on this router and use google's wifi mesh routers instead?

Yes simply log in to the Verizon router under wifi and turn it off. Make sure all three are turned off. 2.4, 5 and guest networks.

most routers can be placed into AP (Access Point) mode. This makes the Verizon router receive the DNS and it just mirrors on the AP routers setup. Very easy to do.

there is a FAQ at DSL Reports that shows and explains the different set up.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

You can search for it at the link above.

additionally if you just want to use your own router you must first do a dns release/renew (then turn it off immediately)before it receives a new dns from Verizon.

you then take the Ethernet cable and plug it into your own supplied router, then turn it on. It should obtain a dns from Verizon and you should be good to go.

Good Luck 

0 Likes
donutman925

Are you talking about the app for phones and tablets? If so then that will be ok since i dont use any of verizons apps and i only have internet through fios. tv is directv. The other reply stated i could just turn all the wifi off on the myfiosgateway which i did find those settings. At that point I think I would just have to run an ethernet cable from the g1100 router to the wifi mesh routers and i should be alright i think.

Yes I am having an issue with wifi coverage at the end of my house where the master bedroom is. Signal not that great. the g1100 is in the living room. I'm also looking to have more wifi coverage out in the yard when im doing yard work and stuff and the external garage. The google wifi mesh router have been getting really good reviews and the price of them is cheaper than alternatives and i can add more mesh routers in the future if i need them. thanks for the reply

0 Likes
donutman925

Ok i did find those settings on the myfiosgateway.  I wonder if i turn all 3 of those settings off and just run an ethernet cable from the g1100 to the google wifi mesh router which is required to do, theoritcally that should work and enable the mesh routers to create their own wifi network.

I havent bought the google wifi mesh routers yet. Just looking to see if anyone out there has bought these thats using fios interent only. All the reviews i have seen on them people are using comcast internet.

Are there instructions for the dns release/renew?

thanks for the help

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@donutman925 wrote:

Ok i did find those settings on the myfiosgateway.  I wonder if i turn all 3 of those settings off and just run an ethernet cable from the g1100 to the google wifi mesh router which is required to do, theoritcally that should work and enable the mesh routers to create their own wifi network.

I havent bought the google wifi mesh routers yet. Just looking to see if anyone out there has bought these thats using fios interent only. All the reviews i have seen on them people are using comcast internet.

Are there instructions for the dns release/renew?

thanks for the help

Yep it's that simple. The Verizon router grabs the dns, the Ethernet cable then is plugged from the available LAN port into the wan (yellow) port on the google router or any other router. Set the google etc. to access point and you will be all set.

it really does not matter what brand of router you use in place of the Verizon one, it can be a stand alone connection (just Ethernet from the ont to your own router) or Ethernet to the Verizon router and your router set as an access point. Instructions for this would be in your router documentation.

however if you have tv and phone the install will require the Verizon router to be in the equation.

Good Luck

0 Likes
syacker

"however if you have tv and phone the install will require the Verizon router to be in the equation"

I do have TV and phone from Fios too.  Looks like my Quantum has ethernet coming from ONT into WAN and also coax.  I work from home and have kids who'd kill me if the WiFi isn't working so I need to get this right.  Would someone please list out the actions to follow, including any details or screen shots for each step?  THANK YOU in advance.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@syacker wrote:

"however if you have tv and phone the install will require the Verizon router to be in the equation"

I do have TV and phone from Fios too.  Looks like my Quantum has ethernet coming from ONT into WAN and also coax.  I work from home and have kids who'd kill me if the WiFi isn't working so I need to get this right.  Would someone please list out the actions to follow, including any details or screen shots for each step?  THANK YOU in advance.

This link here is what you should follow.  https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?Again it's easier to just set the google router as access point mode (look into the owners instructions on how to set AP mode)

then go into the Quantum G1100 manual and read how to turn off the wifi on the Quantum Gateway. Then your wifi will be through the Google router.

0 Likes
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2

You can only set the Google to AP mode if you have a single unit. If you have the three pack, you cannot.

0 Likes
Flynnibus
Enthusiast - Level 1

The issue is google wifi doesn't run as AP mode when using it as a mesh router.  It must be the nat router