Enthusiast - Level 1

@Champ wrote:

I tried this and it works

Awesome, thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Fios Internet and the new Google Wifi mesh routers
HD_Dude1

Hi...

I have Fios 1000/1000 Gigabit service here in DC, with the Quantum router. I have a lot of hard-wired devices, so I also added a 1000/1000 bridge, with lots of extra LAN ports.

I bought the Google WiFi, plugged it into a spare port on my bridge, and it worked right out of the box. Blazing fast internet. All my devices see the WiFi network, and connect flawlessly.

Setup was crazy easy.

I am posting this to help other people with - hmmmmm - less than network-engineer technical abilities. This thing just works. Plug it in, follow the steps in the app, done.

And perfect.

I never went into the router at all. No DNS, no reset, no restart, no turning off my Quantum's WiFi, nothing.

Just works.

And the WiFi speed is about 20% faster than the stock Quantum, using both the SurfaceBook 2 andthe SurfaceGo.

Life is good!

Thanks

0 Likes
Champ2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nice.  Just curious, do you have fios TV also? If so, can you connect to your set top boxes from the fios tv app and use remove dvr?

0 Likes
HD_Dude1

Great question.

I do have FIOS TV, but I push it into a TiVo Pro, with a cablecard.

Everything is working perfectly.

Thanks

0 Likes
GaryShort

To Print from wired FIOS-connected PC to a Google Wifi connected printer:

My connection was easy as well, but had some work to do for interconnectivity afterward: My FIOS router is connected via COAX from the entry point.

I connected my primary Google Wifi (GWF) puck to a wired port on my FIOS Router, and did the setup. I changed all my wireless devices (16 of them...) to use the GWF network instead fo the FIOS wireless. I then turned off the Wifi networks on the FIOS router.

I found an issue today where I was unable to print to my HP Officejet printer, which is in GWF, from my PC, which is wired to the FIOS router. 

This makes sense since the GWF and wired network have different subnets, and the GWF primary puck is acting as a router between the networks to allow Internet access for the GWF network. subnets in my case are 192.168.1.0 for fios  vs 192.168.86.0 for GWF. I took 3 steps to solve this (requires a certain level of IT abilities, but I will lay out the steps as detailed as I can):

1. I set a route in the FIOS router to the specific IP of the printer, using as a gateway the WAN address (as seen from GWF settings) of the GWF network.

2. I set firewall port rules in GWF for the printer device / ip for TCP ports 9100, 8080, 161, 5357, and 3910. (not sure those are all needed, will narrow it down later)

3. I added the printer to my PC (Windows 10) using a standard TCP printer port.

Details: 

1. a. Connect to FIOS router via broswer using the IP and logon.

b. Go to Advanced, Routing, new Route. 

c. I added the printer IP specifically (192.168.86.23 - found this in the wireless network settings on the printer) with 255.255.255.255 for the mask - you could do the subnet with .0 and 255.255.255.0 to open a route to all gwf devices. For Gateway, I used the FIOS-side IP of the primary GWF puck:

NOTE: I looked up the IP that the GWF primary puck was using on the FIOS side: In GWF app, go to Settings, Network and General, Wifi Points, and click the primary wifi point to see details. The WAN IP is the IP of the wired connection to the FIOS router. 

2. On GWF app, set firewal port rules for the printer ports, to allow traffic between the FIOS and GWF networks:

a. Open GWF App, Go to Settings, Advanced Networking, Port Management.

b. For each port I listed above, Select the printer from the list of devices, select TCP, Enter port number on both the internal and external side, click done. 

c. I got the port list from https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Firewall-Ports/td-p/6501120.. not sure they are all needed.

d. To test that the ports are working, Open PowerShell on the PC, and do test-netconnection 192.168.86.23 -port 9100. (use the IP of your printer, and test for each of the ports). you should see a successful test. 

3. Connect the printer to the PC. Assumes Windows 10.

a. Start, Printers & Scanners, add a printer. 

b. Discovery will fail. Click the link for "...printer isn't listed."

c. Choose "Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname"

d. Enter the IP address of the printer.

e. Select printer manufacturer and model for driver to use if needed / prompted.

f. Print test page.

0 Likes
Tombezig

Thanks for this. 

0 Likes
William43

I have google nest mesh and did not do the refresh dns. How do I do this? 

also, I ask because my nest system caps out at 80mb/s when I just upgraded to 400mb/s. I tried plugging in my old 1100 Fios router and it gets the 400mb/s, but only when right next to it as I have very thick walls. 

My old internet speeds were 75/75. Do you think google nest is stuck on 75/75 because I didn’t refresh the dns??

0 Likes
William43

In response to HD Dude: Did you use the Fios 1100 or 3100 quantum router? And did you make the Fios router a bridge?

what was your connection: ont Ethernet cable to Fios router. Fios router Ethernet cable to google nest mesh? 

last question how did u prevent the interference if my above statements are true.

thanks!

0 Likes