Fios internet intermittent for past 2 months
FIOS_User2022
Enthusiast - Level 2

We experienced internet drops and high latency multiple times a day starting at least June 2022. In the week of Aug 15, 2022, it's dropping internet every hour on the exact same minute. Fios support found an issue (but didn't want to provide detailed info), then said issue was fixed. But Sept 01, 2022, we lost internet for about 5 minutes in the morning, then high latency until this message (Sepr 02, 2022 1051AM).

Can anyone help?

C:\Users>tracert google.com

Tracing route to google.com [142.250.65.238]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 5 ms 5 ms 4 ms 192.168.86.1
2 7 ms 8 ms 8 ms lo0-100.phlapa-vfttp-339.verizon-gni.net [98.114.33.1]
3 12 ms 10 ms 10 ms b3339.phlapa-lcr-22.verizon-gni.net [100.41.128.122]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 10 ms 8 ms 9 ms 0.et-10-0-5.gw15.nyc1.alter.net [140.222.1.83]
7 13 ms 13 ms 12 ms 72.14.208.130
8 14 ms 10 ms 10 ms 108.170.225.6
9 19 ms 11 ms 13 ms 142.251.60.227
10 11 ms 13 ms 9 ms lga25s73-in-f14.1e100.net [142.250.65.238]

Trace complete.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios internet intermittent for past 2 months
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a Verizon Fios forum.  When trying to help people diagnose issues, I discuss currently available and deployed products on the Verizon Fios network.

The IP TV trials were just that - trials.  And the ONT portion of the combo ONT/ROUTER unit did not have a firewall, that was in the router portion of the unit.  Same for other combo units possibly used by other ISPs.  But none of this helps the OP.

Verizon ONTs do not have firewalls.  So there is no firewall in the ONT that could be involved in the problem as their mesh network provider's support claimed.  At this point, I believe the best course of action is to test with Ethernet only connections.  There may be other approaches I haven't thought of.  If you've other suggestions to help the OP, please share.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums!  You're talking mostly with other users here.

That looks like a reasonable trace route.  The latency to the destination is 9-13mSec, which is what I expect to one of google's servers over Fios.  The latency for the intervening hops doesn't mean much, as the routers may very likely de-prioritize TTL expiration responses; and as you see, some don't even send them.

The latency to the 1st hop (your router) does look a bit long for an internal network.  I routinely get sub mSec times on my Ethernet connected devices.  If your device is on WiFi, that might explain why it's a bit longer.  If not, you may want to explore your network equipment, as it appears you're not using standard settings (192.168.86.1 is not a typical Fios router address)

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello gs0b,

Having an atypical customer-edge router address could mean there are more than one routable device at home, unless the OP has opted to change the local subnet address. If having more than one routers, then we need to look for duplicate DHCP servers and conflicting DHCP assignments.

Since the OP is apparently doing a tracert on Windows, which is using ICMP as opposed to UDP, and it shows more than 3 hops, this is a sign of IPv6 rollout too as the IPv6 rollout is paired with traceroute fix.

So it could be multiple things going on here.

Questions for the OP

Do you have NVRs on the network? Or other gateway devices?

Did you receive IPv6? Are you using Ethernet or WiFi to connect to the local network? If Ethernet, what is the model of the Ethernet NIC?

FIOS_User2022
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi gs0b,

Thanks for taking the time.

Yes, the device I used to tracert was on wifi. Anything else you can suggest to help me figure out why in the past couple of months my Fios connection drops multiple times day?

Thanks,

FIOS_User2022
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Cang_Household,

Thanks for taking the time.

Here's more details and hope you can help me figure out why in the past couple of months my Fios connection drops multiple times day.

I've been using google nest wifi mesh network since about 2 years ago. Things were fine until about 2 months ago. the nest wifi router was connected to Fios via rj45. the 3 nest wifi points through out the house. About 1 month ago, I had Google Home app generated issue report and sent to Google nest wifi support team. That engineer said maybe Verizon enabled firewall in my ONT and I should ask Verizon to disable it. That engineer also asked me to set google home app DNS to 8.8.8.8, disabled ipv6. I then called Verizon tech support and the rep did not disagree with what google's engineer told me and Verizon tech support rep did testing and said he fixed a issue (but wouldn't let me know more details).

After that, we still experience drops and my company IT installed an app that can show my laptop connection in real time. I see lots of red (high latencies > 100ms) thruout the day.

Let me know if anything else I can do.

Thanks,

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

ONT's don't have firewalls.

The latency numbers you posted are reasonable for WiFi, especially if you were connected through a mesh node using wireless back-haul.  100Msec latency is not good, though.

You need to rule out issues with WiFi.  Can you run with an Ethernet connection for a while and see how it performs?  If it works great, you'll know the issue is with the mesh network.

Did you company provide you with "PingPlotter?"  If so, that's a good tool to monitor a connection over time.  If not, take a look at it.  A trial license might meet your needs, or you could buy it.  You might be able to find free alternatives, too.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

ONT's don't have firewalls.

Yes and no.

An example of yes you are correct. At this time ONT from Verizon do not include a built in NAT router.

Examples of no you are wrong...

#1 While Verizon was doing IPTV trails that had an ONT with a built in NAT router.

#2 There other ISPs that with their ONT there is a built in NAT router.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a Verizon Fios forum.  When trying to help people diagnose issues, I discuss currently available and deployed products on the Verizon Fios network.

The IP TV trials were just that - trials.  And the ONT portion of the combo ONT/ROUTER unit did not have a firewall, that was in the router portion of the unit.  Same for other combo units possibly used by other ISPs.  But none of this helps the OP.

Verizon ONTs do not have firewalls.  So there is no firewall in the ONT that could be involved in the problem as their mesh network provider's support claimed.  At this point, I believe the best course of action is to test with Ethernet only connections.  There may be other approaches I haven't thought of.  If you've other suggestions to help the OP, please share.

FIOS_User2022
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the suggestions and comments, everyone.

It'll take some effort / days for me to get a rj45 cable running from the basement (where the mesh router is) to my work desk upstairs.

The mean time, it seems the Google Nest Wifi engineer might have misled me about ONT having firewall and ask Verizon to disable it.

I'm thinking about another way - swap the mesh network with my bro, he has a tp-link mesh. What do you guys think?

Here's my thinking, the google nest wifi + Fios worked well for us for the past 2 years. The current problem can be from google nest since you guys think the tracert seems fine, the ONT doesn't have firewall, etc.

Cheers,

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

From what I am reading here, you might have a PON line/card issue.

I need to direct you back to tech support and ask them to check the ONT/OLT alarms, power and signal levels.