FIOS Internet/TV - G1100 - Juniper NS25
cskeans

I have searched but have had no luck; i know there is a document on here that provides support for actiontec routers and customer owned routers and configuration but that is not helping me.  I have called and spoke to 3 verizon techs; one even said he knew what i was talking about and would help but never called me back.  Anyhow, what im trying to accomplish is the following.  When i had comcast i was able to take my NS 25 firewall and split it into 3 subnets, one port would be public, one would be private and the third would be my wireless.  The way this worked was comcast modem had the co-axe plugged into it, then the ethernet cable ran from the modem to the public port of my firewall.  This would then pick up the public IP address sent down the pipe from comcast.  I have tried this same setup but now all i can get is the G1100 router sending a private ip to this port.  This is not going to work as i use the firewall with VPNs to and from different locations.  My setup, ONT is outside has coaxe that comes into house as well as ethernet.  I am using ethernet to router and coaxe for tv.  Im not sure how to get this configured, if i need to purchase my own router, or what, if that is the case i am told that i need the g1100 on the network because thats how the tv gets VOD, caller id and guide.  Any insight would be great!

Thanks

chris

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Internet/TV - G1100 - Juniper NS25
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you connecting firewall to your router lan port?

If so, then that is why you are getting a private IP.
What you have with comcast was a cable modem. Depending ont he model, it didn't provide router function.
Verizon offers a router that handles the public side and performs pat from a private IP to a public on the wan side.

0 Likes
cskeans
I was plugging into LAN yes which makes sense that it would give a private ip. I'm looking for a way to continue to use my firewall with the supplied g1100 router by verizon. I'm told I need to keep this in the loop for VOD and channel guide as well as caller ID. Do I need to purchase and additional router and if so what model version?
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What are you trying to accomplish?

Did you have any devices in the public side?

If no, the router will segregate (although not quite as securely as a dedicated firewall) private from public.

Do you need a separate subnet for your wireless?

From looking in the router, you do have the capability to do seprate vlans on wireless.

Haven't done it, so maybe somone else can chime in.

Another option would be to disable wireless in Quantum router and use the wireless rotuer you used before to provide wireless lan.

Keep in mind that if wireless (or wired network) is not on the same subnet as the STBs, you can not use some of the functions of the FIOS apps to control your STBs or watch some channels via the APP.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
cskeans
Thanks for your reply. the end result is to get my firewall in place so that I have vpn access to my office. Right now I can't get that working due to the fact I can't get the firewall to pick up a public address.
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have an Ethernet connection between the ONT and the G1100 currently? If not, you can mimic the same setup you had with Comcast by getting the ONT moved to Ethernet and connecting your Juniper Firewall up to the ONT. This will give you the public IP. For receiving the public IP from Verizon, tell the Juniper to use DHCP. There is no IPv6 support at the moment, so DHCPv6 / DHCPv6+PD is optional. Be aware, the DHCP lease will need to be broken from the G1100 before your Juniper can pull the Public IP. Verizonc an help with this, or you can do a manual release in the G1100's web interface. Or, you can wait two hours for the lease to expire.

Once done, you'll want to hang the G1100 off of your Juniper on one of the VLANs/Subnets. This way, the FiOS TV STBs can still continue to receive Guide and VOD data from Verizon. Note that this will eliminate support for Remote DVR or Caller ID, although chances are good that if you are in a business environment these features will not be needed or used. To test Set Top Box connectivity after doing this, open Video on Demand and try to play a title, as these will be delivered by IP.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader
Agree with all that Smith6612 says except the caller id bit.  You will need to call fios tech support to get the ONT provisioning changed from moca to ethernet - takes less than 1/2 an hour on the phone with them.
I am set up with my own ethernet device connected to the ONT and my verizon routre connected as described.  Caller id is working on my STBs.  I checked all the verizon ports that had port forwarding rules on their router and forwarded all those ports from my device to the verizon router.
0 Likes
cskeans
Great thanks. I originally had co axe but last week switched over to Ethernet. I tried this exact setup with vz on the phone and couldn't get it to work. Where within the g1100 is the option to release? I'd like to try it again on my own. Also do I have to port forward if the vz box is connected to one of the subnets off the firewall?
0 Likes
cskeans

Hi Guys!

Thanks so much for the help.  I was able to get my juniper on my network and working.  VPN is up and working.  The only problem that i have now is the Router itself  G1100 is not being seen on the network for video on demand.  I can still log into as i have it on my private network 192.168.x.x.  Any ideas on how i can get this to be back online with the juniper so i can get my video on demand back?

thanks

Chris

0 Likes
cskeans

i also used the last port on my firewall and configured another subnet; i ran a cable from that port of the firewall to the g1100 and gave the g1100 an ip on that subnet.  im not sure why buts it nots picking up the g1100; i can log into it and make changes, but not working like i thought it would, hence no video on demand.  any help would be great.

Chris

0 Likes