Re: FIOS Internet upload speed issue
JackTheKnife
Enthusiast - Level 3
@eljefe How can I change WAN IP on my own?

Also I will test DU Meter when I will get back home
0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I still have an Actiontec router, Jack, so your procedure may be a little different if you have the Quantum box.  Having said that, this is what works here:

Open the router's configuration page at IP 192.168.1.1

Navigate to My Network > Network Connections > Full Status>  Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax) > Settings

DHCP Lease: Release

Unplug the power to the router immediately after clicking on "Release."

Wait 10 minutes, power the router back up, and check to see if you have a new IP address.

There's a small chance you could be re-assinged your old IP.  If that happens, you'll have to leave the router powered down longer.  You could try 2 hours, and then over-night.

10 minutes has always worked for me.

0 Likes
JackTheKnife
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just an update.

I have brought a laptop running WIn10 tested on another FIOS location (accorss Hudson river). That person has 75/75 and test to the same destination server on speedtest.net was 51/71 so legit values. Connected that laptop directly to my verizon router, disconnected all other devices, disabled WiFi and run a test - same results no matter what: 102/15 so I have rulled out PC issue.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I'm pained to have to report this but as of yesterday I'm having the same problem, very slow upload speeds!  After years of near perfect Internet service, for the past 24 hours the system seems to be broken.

With my 75/75 plan I still see ~85/85 mb/s down/up on the Verizon speedtest based in NYC.  But if I use any of the many nearby speedtest.net servers this is typical of what I'm getting now:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4769696640

And while I can see spikes of higher speeds during real world uploads, those spikes are short lived and I'm averaging much lower upload throughput than I've always seen until yesterday.

I've tried all the suggestions I made earlier in this thread...changed IP address, different DNS, different devices all hardwired to my Actiontec Rev I router, and rebooting everything, including my ONT.

I know Verizon and other ISPs will only guarantee data rates within their network but something has changed for the much worse here.  I wonder if anyone else,  in the northeast, in addtion to the OP Jack, is seeing a similar problem?

Man, I hope whatever is causing this issue get corrected soon.

UPDATE:

I just asked a friend who has Optimum Online cable service to run a speedtest to confirm my problem isn't the speedtest server I was using and guess what...it seems as if that was actually the problem!  Using a different NYC speedtest server, Atlantic Metro, I get this:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4769808633

So something's going on with that OOL speedtest server, or the routing getting to it, but I'm shrugging it off.  For now.

0 Likes
click4dylan
Contributor - Level 1

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you ran this via a wired connection, then you should contact support with the issue.

They should take this test result as an issue to be corrected.

0 Likes
MB90266

I have spent hundreds of hours struggling with TERRIBLE upload speeds with Verizon FIOS over the past couple years. I have spent weeks with their service techs here in my house (time off work), after the usual nightly calls, escalations, rebooting of the systems (of course no call back when they drop you at 12:30 am). I get consistent 88 Mbps download speeds but in the evening upload around .015 mbps, often just 0. All equipment in the house has been replaced. The PON has been rebooted. Tech 2 is off in evenings, which is when the problem exists. The measurements are clearly measured outside my house directly with the system, "spirit meter", etc.. The techs say the only way they can think to fix this is to get 100 mpbs service, which isn't available here, as the equipment I'm routed through is faulty. I think the only way to fix this is by calling TWC and changing. My friends are eager to watch this resolve.

0 Likes
click4dylan
Contributor - Level 1

Rebooting the PON card will only fix the problem temporarily. They ended up replacing the entire PON card here and the upload has been fine to verizon's speed test sites since, though upload is still slow to youtube and other places (peering conjestion).

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

For some reason several of the NYC servers offered by speedtest have always been less than accurate.  I often had to change servers when doing measurements from my NY home.  I had 150/150 service in NY and some of the servers never came close to correct result.

0 Likes