FIOS Internet w/ROKU streaming
JNGarrett
Enthusiast - Level 3

Returning from Comcast today 100 Mbps Internet only using Roku. Have successfully strained using code for various TV stations such as ABC NBC which are free of over the Airways history or other type. Today error message that I "must have a high definition TV package included" This would be very upsetting to learn after the fact. I have read everything I can find on the Roku and Verizon sites. Is this something new anyway related to Net Neutrality? Really appreciate your help. Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Internet w/ROKU streaming
jonjones1
Legend

@JNGarrett wrote:

Returning from Comcast today 100 Mbps Internet only using Roku. Have successfully strained using code for various TV stations such as ABC NBC which are free of over the Airways history or other type. Today error message that I "must have a high definition TV package included" This would be very upsetting to learn after the fact. I have read everything I can find on the Roku and Verizon sites. Is this something new anyway related to Net Neutrality? Really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Net neutrality has not been rescinded yet. So it’s not that.

it is just a money grab. Cable does the same thing. They have tiered services with higher pricing. Everyone should get net neutrality off their brains. 

JNGarrett
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi thank you for your reply. Technically the FCC voted down Net Neutrality 12-15-17 leaving the ISPs free to do as they see fit. So that was certainly and my thought process. What is your knowledge of their use or not use of the Roku system? Am I not going to be able to view television on Internet only which was the entire purpose of switching? Thanks again.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@JNGarrett wrote:

Hi thank you for your reply. Technically the FCC voted down Net Neutrality 12-15-17 leaving the ISPs free to do as they see fit. So that was certainly and my thought process. What is your knowledge of their use or not use of the Roku system? Am I not going to be able to view television on Internet only which was the entire purpose of switching? Thanks again.

Net neutrality was voted to be repealed, however it is not implemented yet since first the GAO has not published it yet, there are presently numerous states overriding the FCC vote, the comments are being investigated by the government as to it being fraud and congress its self may do a floor vote making the FCC decision not binding. As of right now, no throttling, no preferential treatment over one service to another not anything.

Now back to your issue.

Your best bet is using the Roku like I do (I have numerous Roku and Apple TV devices.

i use them for my streaming services. With Fios you can use any apps from Roku to watch streaming or live tv stations (live tv requires a paid service like Cable or Fios) and like I do, I don’t use the higher priced tv services from Verizon or Comcast, Charter, or ATT etc. I use a $35 streaming service from DirectTVNOW which you can google.

i can watch over 160 stations via the Roku or Apple TV app, on my computers, on my tablets or on my phones, or Blu Ray players. If I want to see individual stations like ABC, CBS, or NBC and a host of others I log in with my DirectTVNOW credentials.

the good point of using DirectTVNOW is no taxes, no surcharges, no below the line fees and it’s always $35. You can upgrade your package for more stations around $50-$60 and even pay $5 extra for each premium like HBO or Starz etc.

This in its self saves you $100’s of dollars a month from cable and Fios crazy pricing.

I feel for you in that you are being told to pay way more to be able to log in to tv programming on your Roku .

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you using a Comcast login?

that's the only thing that makes sense with the error message you are seeing.

Verizon does not have a HD package. All of them come with HD included

0 Likes
Roku Streaming+ w/ Verizon FiOS Internet only
JNGarrett
Enthusiast - Level 3

Return to FiOS yesterday. My Roku is receiving an error message when I try to stream live stations over the Internet whether local free stations or others. Verizon giving me the runaround that they do allow streaming via Roku that they don't that I must have a television package. When I enter the code for the station error message States I "must have a FiOS TV package." Can someone who has the situation please tell me what the truth is? Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Roku Streaming+ w/ Verizon FiOS Internet only
jonjones1
Legend

@JNGarrett wrote:

Return to FiOS yesterday. My Roku is receiving an error message when I try to stream live stations over the Internet whether local free stations or others. Verizon giving me the runaround that they do allow streaming via Roku that they don't that I must have a television package. When I enter the code for the station error message States I "must have a FiOS TV package." Can someone who has the situation please tell me what the truth is? Thank you.

This is been posted over and over.

you must have Fios tv service to be able to log on to Roku and watch tv. If you don’t pay for tv, you get no authorization to watch it.

you are paying solely for connection to the internet.

with Roku you can buy a monthly subscription to Hulu, or Netflix or BritBox, Amazon prime movies, DirectTVNOW for television. They all cost money. 

If you purchase tv from Fios it may let you logon to individual tv stations. I don’t believe Fios tv has a stand alone app for the Roku but you could call Roku customer service and ask them or search the Roku App Store.

JNGarrett
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately I would have had no way to see this prior to realizing I have a problem upon installation yesterday. My order for Internet only to stream live TV via my Roku apparently the left and the right hand here at FiOS don't know what are going on I've talked to six people today and gotten six different answers. I had been streaming it through Comcast with no problem so this is quite a surprise. I thought the entire purpose of streaming live via internet to cut the cord and not have to Ev to cut the cord and not have TV was the whole purpose of a Roku or other similar devices? All very frustrating on time consuming.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you have Comcast TV service as well? if so, that is why you could stream.

Most apps require you to have a cable account (a few support some of the streaming services) to view their content.
Cutting the cord isn't as easy or cheap as people are pushing.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@JNGarrett wrote:

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately I would have had no way to see this prior to realizing I have a problem upon installation yesterday. My order for Internet only to stream live TV via my Roku apparently the left and the right hand here at FiOS don't know what are going on I've talked to six people today and gotten six different answers. I had been streaming it through Comcast with no problem so this is quite a surprise. I thought the entire purpose of streaming live via internet to cut the cord and not have to Ev to cut the cord and not have TV was the whole purpose of a Roku or other similar devices? All very frustrating on time consuming.

I don’t know what answers you have been receiving but here is the correct answer. If you want to stream tv over the internet you need a service like this https://www.directvnow.com/thegoodstuff

after you download the app on the Roku store you can sign up and pay monthly for around 160 channels for around $35 a month. 

Unless you opted to have a Verizon tv package at signup you cannot “stream” the individual channels from the Roku device. It cannot be done without it included.

roku and Apple TV are subscription based services. There are free teaser stations which can be watched like Pluto and a syifi station and many more but you have to download some of them to view.

No matter what else you were told it is false that if anyone said you can stream live tv from Fios over the net without subscribing to Fios tv or another streaming service like DirectTVNOW or Sling tv or Sony vue then you were lied to or misinformed by someone who does not know their job.

get a streaming service like DirectTVNOW since there are no higher costs like hidden fees, broadcast fees, taxes or bogus surcharges you get from Fios and cable. In fact on Sling tv it’s $20 for the basic tv package which is cheap and all these streaming tv services can be used on numerous devices. 

0 Likes