Fios modem,Problem with wire running to modem from bedroom
barbaratoo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have and I run a internet wire to my other room its about 10 to 15 feet ,going through the wall,and the PC is new and a very good one,at first it didn't work So we got another internet wire only work when it wanted to So we were told to get a new internet card (wrong). So I brought it in here and hook it up it works great NO Problems felt So sorry for my Dauther its most likely we got the wrong wire its black and the one the version uses is yellow.

My question is there different kinds of internet wires ,So I can get my dauther the right one.

Thank you so muchWoman Sad

0 Likes
Re: Fios modem,Problem with wire running to modem from bedroom
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Yes, there are different kinds of Ethernet cables.  "Normal" and "crossover."   There may be exceptions to this but crossover cables I've seen have always been yellow.

If you're simply connecting a port on the Verizon router to a PC you don't want a crossover cable.  Just a regular Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable, and for 15 feet Cat 5e should work fine.

If you're using a 15 feet long Cat 5 cable and you can't connect to the Internet you have some other problem. 

edit:  Just to be clear, you said "modem?"    Do you have FiOS?  If so, which device are you plugging the cable in to?  There really is no modem with FiOS.   Not to be nit picky, but if you do have a modem and service other than FiOS the answer to your question  may be a little different.

Re: Fios modem,Problem with wire running to modem from bedroom
prisaz
Legend

The color really has little to do with it. Any Cat5 or Cat6 ethernet cable should work. The router has auto crossover so it should connect regardless. Be sure you are plugging the cable into one of the LAN ports and not the WAN port on the router.

1. What operating system are you using?

2. What is the model of the router you are connecting to?

3. When you plug into the router, does the light for the port you plug into turn green? It should be the LAN # that corresponds to the connection you plugged into. No green light indicates a connection issue with the cable or Ethernet port on the router or PC.

4. Check the network connection on the system tray next to the clock. Does it have an red X on it? Icon with two montiors and a globe.

5. If you are running windows Vista or Windows 7, you can try the connection wizzard by right clicking on that icon and selecting connect to a network.

I hope this information gives you a starting point for troubleshooting. Also there is a tool you can download and possibly install on the computer to assist you in troubleshooting.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Troubleshoot-and-Setup-FiOS-Connections-with-VZ-In-Home-A...