Fios Mumble
Crashdog29

Not sure where the problem exists or where to turn.  I cannot connect to a particuliar mumble server all the time it is a random issue, when I try to connect it tries for ~30 sec, and then says "Disconnected from Server"  It worked for months and started acting this way about 3 weeks ago, the other servers I log into all work fine. I am very Frustrated after speaking to Verizon, he had no clue about what I was talking about, claimed needed specialized help and I would have to pay for it.

Here is message I get: Welcome to Mumble.
                                     Connecting to server mumble.maguuma.net.    

Disconnected from server.

I can try again in a couple hours, and it may work or it may not, it may work for 3 days straight, or a day  than the same message. It never disconnects once I am connected.

No recent hardware/software changes. 3 weeks ago it started this random issue connecting, I try to reconnect, no dice for 2 days, called server admin he checked on his end and found nothing 200 othrs connect, BUT he has had several others with the same issue all from the  Wash. D.C/ No. VA region

I've tried all the stuff (reset router/modem/computer, reinstalled mumble). I have pinged, tracert (no time outs, matchs ping mumble reports), opened  ports etc.  all of it and all is fine, sent logs to tech support for Mumble they say it is FIOS central  issue or a bad modem but since other servers work fine highly unlikely.

The fact that when it stopped this last time I took the computer over to my next door neighbors I could connect, come home same thing cant connect...neighbor has Comcast.....

Further I could not post this from home it would just keep going back to profile page, had to do it from office.

Any ideas or  where I turn to next I have no confidence in their basic support and dont feel I should have to pay for someone to help considering whjat it costs monthly ?

0 Likes
Re: Fios Mumble
Crashdog1

This is an update, I had a tech come out and Mumble was working fine. 4 hours later could not log in, he said that the modem was fine and maybe it is the host. It is not the host Verizon is simply incompetent.

Just got done with 4 other guild members talking about it and I come to find out that they all live in a 10 mile radius of me. ALL are in No Virginia...so went to gw2 battle grounds and asked in general chat if anyone else is having the issue and low and behold 9 others in the DC vacinity.

TThis is a Verizon central issue how do I contact tech that understands interent and the services they work on?

0 Likes
Mackeyser
Enthusiast - Level 3

Mumble was recently updated to 1.2.4

Make sure you got the update. We've had that problem with our guild members as well.

Also, have the mumble server admin UNREGISTER you and then you should do a clean reregister.

That worked for me and I'm one of the mumble server admins who couldn't log into the mumble server...

FYI, just creating a new login won't work. Tried that as did others. The admin will need to unregister you and you'll need to reregister.

Hope that helps. I know firsthand how frustrating that can be.

0 Likes
Crashdog1

Thanks but  been thru this and running 1.2.4, Admin even had server rebooted just in case, but he keeps telling me and the others that the only issue is FIOS users and mainly here in DC metro area that 170 plus other members have no issue.  As I said now there are about 12 in this metro area with the identical problem for the identical amount of time, each one has said the same thing verizon says they are the only one, even though this post has been up for several days and several calls they still claim I am only one when I spoke with them yesterday. 

Totally frustrating, found escalation number going to ry that now. Again Thxs for input.

0 Likes
Mackeyser
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry, not trying to be difficult.

Just to be clear, the admin unregistered you?

I ask this because rebooting the server very much did not work for my guild and we almost dropped mumble because of this.

I'm just trying to be clear what measures have already been taken is all.

Also, if the server admin could send you the log so you could post the log snippet that shows why you're being disconnected, that would be very helpful.

Lastly, we used commandchannel.com and they moved servers from one physical location to another.

For whatever reason, some of us just had to use the alternate dns name they assigned during the move. Others never had a problem.

So, which provider are you using?

0 Likes
Crashdog1

Lol not at all difficult I really do appreciate all the input, more then techs at Verizon can give. He did un-register us all and still nothing, I just sent admin a request for the logs, I never thought of that thxs. I really have done everything tracert, ping, re-install, port forward, static etc. Admin when spoke with him and he unregistered us still claims only issue is with FIOS members.

I had my son take a lap top over to a friends home after speaking with tech, claimed its the host, he could log in with no issue on the Cox network, it doesn't just work at our home, a few of the others in this region that I  have been in contact with can all do the same take it to work, off the Verizon network and no issue. So certificates are not  the problem.  Just baffles why it works on Cox cable, Comcast and not FIOS.

I believe the provider host is a Hivelocity, will look into it more.  I will inquire also about the DNS have heard sometimes this is an issue. Did you use Opendns?

Again thanks for the reply, I seem to have  become the rep for the group in this region on getting this resolved.

0 Likes
Crashdog1

Solved, Our IT guy said of coarse its not the host the return isn't making it to you and yes VERIZON DOES block sites (IPs) sometimes for bandwith control or other reasons. I asked the techs at verizon several times to try or check and see if  the host and run the host IP themselves they kept saying it was host and not needed. Thats either not knowing or wanting others know of there practices you decide, sounds a little NSA to me lol.

Long story short he had me try HOTspot shield 2 days ago and not one issue,  tried Mumble wouldnt connect, then actived shield and presto, the few others in the area same thing no problems.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If Verizon is blacklisting sites, you'll want to bring Verizon up on that. Years ago when I used to use shared web hosting, the web host I used had only one server at the time. Someone set up an IRC server on the server via a PHP script, and caused Verizon to blacklist the server. The web host stated they received a Cease and Desist notice from Verizon, which they adhired to but the block still went up. I called Verizon and asked nicely to have that fixed, and within a half hour the server was reachable again.

0 Likes