FiOS Network Extender Question - How To Hide That SSID?
wsr203
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a FiOS Quantum gateway router but needed a Network Extender to boost the WiFi at the far end of the house.

All is working well. However, I can't seem to hide the Network Extender's SSID. With the Quantum router, I go to page 192.168.1.1 and I can choose to hide that SSID.

The Network Extender has it's own SSID that you can see if you were roaming.

Even though the Network Extender signal is protected via WPA2 PW, I'd like to be able to hide the SSID from the neighbors.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS Network Extender Question - How To Hide That SSID?
TheMalks1
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you have a NETGEAR you should be able to connect to your extender and then go to www.mywifiext.net, login with "admin" as the user name and your password will be your network password. From there you can setup your extender. If you have a different extender, your manual should be able to point you to the correct web address to manage it.

View solution in original post

TheMalks1
Enthusiast - Level 2

When you set up the extender/repeater tell it not to broadcast. You just have to remember the name. Hope this helps.

0 Likes
wsr203
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply.

How do I tell the Network Extender not to broadcast its SSID? With the Quantum Router, I go to the webpage / security settings and disable the broadcast.

I don't know where to go to modify the Network Extender settings to disable the broadcast of it's SSID. To install it, I just connected the coax cable to it and it started to broadcast the network name. The WPA2 PW is typed on the side of device.

Thanks for the reminder on the network name, I do have it written down.

0 Likes
TheMalks1
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you have a NETGEAR you should be able to connect to your extender and then go to www.mywifiext.net, login with "admin" as the user name and your password will be your network password. From there you can setup your extender. If you have a different extender, your manual should be able to point you to the correct web address to manage it.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

While it is intersting how to do what you want to do, please be advised

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28653/debunking-myths-is-hiding-your-wireless-ssid-really-more-secure...

0 Likes