FIOS not working on new computer
usanews

I have had Verizon FIOS for 3 or more years.  The browser supplied by Verizon crashed 2 years ago and Verizon said it was out of warranty.  I decided to try hooking up my desktop directly with the cable from the wall jack.  It worked and I was able to use FIOS that way wiithout replacing the browser.

Now I have bought a new desktop.  I plugged in the cable from the wall jack and I cannot get on the Internet.  

I can plug the cable into my laptop and get on the Internet as I am now. 

Any suggestion on what I can do to get the Internet working on the desktop?

0 Likes
Re: FIOS not working on new computer
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is your OS and Version? For example Windows XP Home SP3.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

This problem is usually a result of not releasing the DHCP lease on the old computer or router before connecting the new one.

VZ's DHCP lease interval is 2 hours, so this problem should have cleared by the time you read this.

If it hasn't cleared, this FAQ may help:

How do I clear my DHCP lease

If it hasn't cleared, another thing you can try is to reconnect the old desktop.  Verify that it's connection is active, then do an IPCONFIG /RELEASE (or equivalent command depending on your OS).  The new computer should then be able to obtain a DHCP lease.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@usanews wrote:

I have had Verizon FIOS for 3 or more years.  The browser supplied by Verizon crashed 2 years ago and Verizon said it was out of warranty.  I decided to try hooking up my desktop directly with the cable from the wall jack.  It worked and I was able to use FIOS that way wiithout replacing the browser.

Now I have bought a new desktop.  I plugged in the cable from the wall jack and I cannot get on the Internet.  

I can plug the cable into my laptop and get on the Internet as I am now. 

Any suggestion on what I can do to get the Internet working on the desktop?

As Verizon doesn't supply fios customers with browsers I have to assume you mean ROUTER  ???

I don't belive there is a consumer warranty that you should worry about so if your fios router quit working I would get Verizon to replace it.

Considerably safer from a security point of view than connecting your desktop directly to the internet and would also allow you to have both machines connected at the same time.