fios only getting 18mbps wirelessly
jhil1234

i plugged right into rougter and got 42 mbps but only 16-18 wireless why am i loosing that much speed?

0 Likes
Re: fios only getting 18mbps wirelessly
KlassiK
Enthusiast - Level 3

It all depends on the enviroment you're in. Walls, how far you're away from the router, and I also hear that microwaves can stir things up also. I have a phone that disconnects my wireless signal to my ps3 when it rings lol.

Anyway I noticed wireless will always be slower then hard wired (straight ethernet cable from router to source)

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
If you're on Wireless G, you won't be getting anything more than 22Mbps realistically, despite the link speed being "54Mbps Theoretical." If you want speed, Ethernet is the way to go. Wireless is only a convenience but is also a monster to deal with. Wireless N is a good improvement but still slow compared to Ethernet from the 90s.

Anyways, to make sure you are getting as much speed as possible, make sure your router isn't on any channel occupied by other networks in your area, or one that has a lot of networks using the same channels. Additionally, good antenna placement tends to help keep speeds up as well.
0 Likes
jhil1234
Oka thanks how do i check or change channel? And i have the fios router is that g? And im sitting right infront of it and getting only 18 id like atleast 25 i have the 35mbps plan is ther anything i can do to get better speed wirelessly?
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

change the wireless signal.  you can do that in the router.   open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it.   Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel      1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.   

after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also take a look at page 2 of Actiontec's Wireless PDF File.  It gives you some idea's with regards to position and orientation of where the router sits and how it can best be positioned for maximum coverage.

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/MI424WR_Rev(all)_Wireless_Networking_Guide.pdf

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Also  - there are wireless optimization that you should do.  Go to this site.

0 Likes
jhil1234
Ok i did channel change gettin same speed is this normal to loose 20 mbps cause wireless thats alotta speed and i did the optimizer also
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Did you try all three channels?  

and yes it happens sometimes with wireless. 

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@jhil1234 wrote:
OK i did channel change gettin same speed is this normal to loose 20 mbps cause wireless thats alotta speed and i did the optimizer also

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, ~22 mb/s is the best you can expect to see on 802.11g wifi.  If you had a 100 mb/s hard wired connection you could easily be losing 80 mb/s...or more.  The limitation has nothing to do with how fast your hard wired connection is.

It seems to me the solution for you is to move up to 802.11n.  I recently did that.  I bought an inexpensive DLink 802.11n router, disabled the router features in since I'm just using it as a wireless access point, and I disabled wifi in the Actiontec router.  I now get the same speedtest results on wifi as I do wired:  43mb/s down, 32 mb/s up.

If you want faster wifi speeds you're wasting your time with 802.11g.  In my humble opinion on, of course. 🙂

0 Likes
jhil1234
Ok i thought i had to keep fios router i have a linksys n but thought i have to use verizons?
0 Likes