FIOS ONT Does Not Support Upgrade
ScanHarv
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I spent around 2 hours chatting with a rep today.  We currently have triple play, and are spending entirely too much, so we’re hoping to lose the triple play, and go to 200/200 internet only.

After the usual runaround, I was told that my current plan covers 75/75, but I’m only receiving 15/15.  They said my ONT only supports 50/50.  It was installed around 2011.  They said I’d have to pay $80/mo for 75/75, and continue to get 15/15, while I wait for their techs to start doing house calls.  When a tech can make changes to/replace the ONT, I’ll have 200/200, and pay $40/mo.  I asked why they couldn’t give me 50/50 for $40/mo on the current ONT setup until the swap occurs, and he said that was not possible.  
It all seems a little fishy.  I’m an essential worker doing coronavirus decon support, and my wife is a teacher attempting to get through lessons while dropping internet all day.  It’s extremely frustrating.  Anyone have any input?  Similar experiences?  Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS ONT Does Not Support Upgrade
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. Verizon actually has to change an outside connection at a main box for the newer ONT. You definitely should be able to get your 75/75 with what you have. 

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What model ONT do you have? Can you post a picture of it?

What router do you have? Is it getting the Internet connection from the ONT via Coax or an Ethernet CAT5e cable? Verizon's systems will see your connection as limited to 75Mbps regardless of your ONT if it is provisioned to Coax WAN and not Ethernet WAN.

Is the 15Mbps seen from a wired connection? WiFi can be trouble for speed, especially on 2.4Ghz.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If your ONT is a Tellabs 611/612 it can do 75/75 mbps. If a Motorola 1000M/1000M3 it can do 75/35 mbps. Have you tried changing you speed online? What speed are you actually paying for?

ScanHarv
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here are photos of the ONT and router.  Current setup is though MoCA.  Plan is, once I move to internet only, to run a google nest system direct through Ethernet to the ONT. 

The support tech I spoke to said that my original plan was for 15/15.  At some point they upgraded my plan to 75/75 for discounts, but the 15/15 wasn’t upgraded as part of that (not sure why).  
He said that the ONT I have won’t support the 200/200 I want (He said it will only support 50/50), and he told me that they would continue giving me 15/15 for the 75/75 cost ($80/mo) until a tech can swap my ONT, at which point I’d get 200/200 for $40/mo.  
my question was, since they can’t come because of the virus, why can’t they give me the max the ONT will handle, and charge me the $40 rate, then swap the ONT and give me the 200/200 when they can make it out.

0 Likes
ScanHarv
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry, the pic wouldn’t post, but this is what the ONT looks like 

https://www.familytidings.com/blog/?p=867 

0 Likes
ScanHarv
Enthusiast - Level 2

Router is an Actiontech MI424WR

0 Likes
ScanHarv
Enthusiast - Level 2

According to my bill I’m paying for 75/75, the tech said I’m only getting 15/15.  They’re “giving me 15/15 for the 75/75 rate because it’s cheaper”?  My actual speeds show around 10-11ish.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The moderator has to approve them first. The 200/200 thing is true. You will definitely have to upgrade your ONT.  That model is a 612 and is capable of 75/75 mbps. It sounds like you may have gotten the wrong rep. If you are paying for 75/75 then you should be getting those speeds. You could try chatting with a rep @VerizonSupport via Twitter or Verizon Direct at dslreports.com. 

ScanHarv
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you!  I was going to give them a call tomorrow, but I feel like I’ll probably get the same runaround over the phone tomorrow.  I’ll try twitter or dslreports as well.

0 Likes
ScanHarv
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is it possible to do the ONT swap myself?  I’m handy, and I’ve watched videos of the swap.  It looks pretty simple.  What’re the chances I could get them to send me the equipment to do a self-install?

0 Likes