Re: FiOS Quantum Gateway Router - Intermittent Dropped Connections
donhare
Enthusiast - Level 2

@donhare wrote:

I have been having this same issue since December 2014 when I chnaged my Triple Play plan. Since the change, I have tried three diffrent routers and am now using the Quantum Gateway router but am still having my wireless signal drop every few minutes or so. Verizons solution is to send a new router but I am sure that it isn't a router issue. We ar now strongly considering a diffrent provider.

Do wired signals also drop.  If not than a new router might help.  If so than it may welll be elsewhere, e.g. an Ont problem or even further back.

TNS-2......my wired devices do not drop connection only the wireless devices drop. I have since had to hard pipe my wireless printers to address this problem (ugh).

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If only wireless drops, could be interference or such with your wifi.

Have you tried changing channels?

donhare
Enthusiast - Level 2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If only wireless drops, could be interference or such with your wifi.

Have you tried changing channels?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CRobGauth..... yes, I ran a utility to see what other wireless networks there are within range of me and what channels they were on. I ended up switching my Quantm router to channel #2 as no other routers were operating on that channel. Previously, my router channel was set to "Automatic".

0 Likes
john_doe1

Has this problem been solved? read hundred of things and tried so many different things, but no final resolve.

the problem is particularly severe with apple devices (ipad/imac/iphone) all drop connection more frequently, than my windows or chrome pc. pls point out what thread to read for final solution, if the solution is just another router, then whats to say verizon wont send me another lemon.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried changing the channel if your router?

Does the same happen on both 2.4 and 5 GHz?

0 Likes
donhare
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi CRobGauth,

I have changed the channel on my router. I have also turned off the 5 GHz side of the router. This seemed to help but only by a little bit as the connection still dropped ALL the time. I ended up using the Gateway router as an access point and purchased a LinkSys router to do the work. Basically, I am paying Verizon for a router that doesn't perform as promised. Ugh.

0 Likes
donhare
Enthusiast - Level 2

Be careful with getting a "new" router from Verizon. Verizon sent me someone's old router (it didn't work) and tried to pass it off as reconditioned. If you send something back to Verizon please make sure that it is truly malfunctioning (kill it) otherwise, someone else will inherit your faulty hardware.

0 Likes
mark--
Enthusiast - Level 1

Add me to the list of unhappy customers experiencing dropped connections.

Renewed my contract and upgraded to a 50/50 plan with a FiOS Quantum Router, G1100, BHR4.

Switched over from my old Actiontec MI424-WR Rev F. router. 

G1100 is connected to ONT with coax.

I have a cat5e connection from my laptop directly to the router.

I didn't notice it at first. I've been on the new router for about a week. For the past 3 or 4 days, at least once a day I drop internet connection.  Globe and WiFI lights remain solid white - the router is on the desk where I am working. Nothing happens. I only know of the problem when a video pauses, or a webpage doesn't load.

Using "ping 8.8.8.8" from a command prompt (windows 7) and I get "destination host unreachable" "request timed out". The network icon in the windows 7 notification area shows connected.

The dropped connection is intermittent, it lasts for about a few minutes and then comes back. 

What's happening here? Unlike many of you this isn't wireless, this is a wired connection.

Mark

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try contacting support as that is not normal.

I have had the quantum router for quite some time and have not had any connectivity issues.

0 Likes
GuardianHope
Enthusiast - Level 3

@CRobGauth wrote:

Try contacting support as that is not normal.

I have had the quantum router for quite some time and have not had any connectivity issues.

Actually, the Quantum Router dropping out the connection is completely normal. In a thread I made a long timeago now entitled "the Quantum Router is the Worst Router I Ever Owned" I figured out why: dnsmasq-dhcp is used for the Local Area Network connection and the implementation is completely improper causing a headache's worth of incompatibility. In comparison, the MI424WR's used BIND - a more common DHCP server which the Quantum Gateway ironically uses for the Wide Area Network connection.

If Verizon could provide me a MoCA 2.0 network extender so I can just hook up my own router and send the Quantum Gateway which is by all accounts, a piece of junk, back, I would take that deal in a second. Even at 150/150 (more like 200/200) I am shackled by the need for MoCA as my house does not have Ethernet wiring and I have FiOS TV.

However, if the Quantum Router doesn't improve or some other alternative is presented I will cancel my services with Verizon; perhaps before contract expirty as ETF is equal to my bill anyways so that's no deterrant to me.