fios quantum gateway router problem
itzraywhy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello, when I connect my coaxial cable and power adaptor to my old verizon mi424wr router, the internet works fine. But when I connect my coxial cable and the power adapter that came with the fios quantum gateway router, the internet doesn't work. On the router, the internet icon keeps blinking white for about a minute, then it just becomes a solid non-blinking red internet icon. Assisstance would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: fios quantum gateway router problem
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Your problem may be that you didn't release your WAN IP address before switching routers.  It's necessary to do so. 

To release your IP address you could power off the new router, wait 2 hours, or overnight if that's more convenient, and then power the router back on.

Or to release the IP address more quickly, with the Actionec in place, follow the steps in this link:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/How-am-​I-able-to-change-my-ip-address/m-p/703336#M47733

After releasing your WAN IP, wait about 10 minutes and then fire up the Quantum router.  You should have a new WAN IP address and be connected back to the Internet. 

View solution in original post

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Your problem may be that you didn't release your WAN IP address before switching routers.  It's necessary to do so. 

To release your IP address you could power off the new router, wait 2 hours, or overnight if that's more convenient, and then power the router back on.

Or to release the IP address more quickly, with the Actionec in place, follow the steps in this link:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/How-am-​I-able-to-change-my-ip-address/m-p/703336#M47733

After releasing your WAN IP, wait about 10 minutes and then fire up the Quantum router.  You should have a new WAN IP address and be connected back to the Internet. 

itzraywhy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Omg it worked. I would like to say thank you!

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You're welcome.  Happy to help.

ike71
Contributor - Level 1

When I got the new router from Verizon there was no mention on the instructions about  releasing your WAN IP address before switching routers.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Sounds like an oversight.  Did just swapping the routers work for you?

0 Likes
ike71
Contributor - Level 1

I just did not want to pay rent. With new Gateway router I sometimes get excellent wireless connections and sometimes I get not so excellent connections, Traffic and location, I guess.

0 Likes