FiOS Quantum Gateway Router using acronis backup over home network
MoreCowbell1

I recently upgraded my router to the FiOS Quantum Gateway Router and it seems it is the reason I am unable to back-up my laptops to my desktop now.

I backup two laptops to my desktop unsing acronis true image 2014 over my home network, which always worked, prior to the router upgrade.  I start my backup, and after about 15 minutes, I recieve a failure message.

Is there a setting on the router that will allow my backups to work again?

Thanks!!!

0 Likes
Re: FiOS Quantum Gateway Router using acronis backup over home network
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the backups are happening over Wi-Fi, how stable does the connectvity seem during the backup, and at the time of the failure message occurring? Does your desktop see traffic throughout the 15 minute period before the error occurs?

A way to check connectivity is to ping the router and the desktop during the transfers. If you see failed pings around the time the error occurs to the router or the desktop, it can help to isolate where the problem may be.

0 Likes
MoreCowbell1

Thanks for the reply.  I know that the file is being created and increases size on the desktop while the backup is happening.

I am over wireless on the laptop, and ethernet on the desktop.

Is there a traffic monitor that stops traffic after a certain amount of data tha can be the issue on the new router?

Thanks again for the reply.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

I back up my computers using Acronis with no problems however all my connections are hardwired.

Back ups are done on the LAN using the switch built into your gateway.  No routing is involved so there really are no settings which need to be changed.

Your problem  is probably  the result of WiFi blips.  You can try tweaking your WiFi settings to see if you can improve the stability of the connection, but the real solution is probably to use an Ethernet cable connection from your laptop to a LAN port on your router when you do a back up.    Having a perfect WiFi connection lasting for several hours when you are running backup is probably not going to happen particularly if you are using 2.4 Ghz radios.

0 Likes
MoreCowbell1

Hello, and thanks for the reply.

You know, I always used wifi for backup, and never had a problem.  It was the ugrade to this router that was the only change.

I hope that there is a bettter way of doing this, as a LAN set-up for my laptop is very constricting to me.  

Thanks again for your reply.

0 Likes
MoreCowbell1

PING...

I just ran my backup again, and watched it very closely.  My backup was good to about 6,770,688 kb (6.8 gb) when it failed.

I did run a ping test from the router's UI, and the ping failed.  WHY????

I am able to pint from the laptop out and to my desktop with 1ms results, and ping the router itself.  Not sure why the UI is showing failed pings.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

There are utilities for testing the speed of you LAN.   LAN Speed test is one.   Run multiple tests between your laptop and your desktop.  Then run the test the other way and see what happens.  If you have the same difficulties then it is time to work on improving your WiFi.  You should be able to get 30 - 50 Mbps using WiFi.

When you are doing the tests kick everyone else off your network just to be sure someone isn't downloading large files, torrents, streaming video.

0 Likes
MoreCowbell1

Thank you so much for the reply.

I did what you asked, and found that my speed was exceptional.  Over 83 out and 35 in.

I did the test connectivity ping test again, and it failed again.

I am not sure what is going on.

Thanks again for the reply.  Hopefully someone will know how to fix this issue.

0 Likes
MoreCowbell1

This is true will all wifi connected laptops.  Great spead on the internet, and fail the ping test

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try pinging only from PC to PC. Pinging from the router's web interface is probably making the router try to ping the computer over the Internet... which will never work :). If Pings still don't work, make sure the computer's firewall is set to allow ping. Many security suites block pings from all sources.

0 Likes