FiOS Quantum Speed Problem
GreyXephos

Several months ago we upgraded to FiOS Quantum. Our Internet speed has not improved at all, in fact recently the quality has become worse. This is very frustrating because we have been paying the extra $10 a month. Normally, there is one computer, and three phones connected to the wireless network. Recently, the phones haven't been connecting to the network, the phone says avoided poor connection. So last cycle, we used too much data because we weren't aware our phones weren't connecting to WiFi. Wireless downloads max out at 2MB/s, and that's on a good day. Usually wireless downloads hover around 500-800 KB/s. When I connect my computer directly to the router with an ethernet cable, the max download speed I have seen is 7MB/s. This is very annoying because we are currently paying for 50/25MB/s. I saw that there is a better router with a red band and two antennas, and I'm not sure if that is supposed to come with FiOS Quantum or not, but if so we do not have that one. We have a router with a silver band and one antenna. Hopefully I can resolve this issue soon, but if not we are definitely going to cancel the plan.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS Quantum Speed Problem
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@GreyXephos wrote:

I don't want to have to plug in an ethernet cable to have good internet. Even plugged in its not as fast as advertised and I've been paying for better internet speeds for months. What I'm asking for is if I was supposed to get the router with the red band and double antenna but didn't, and if that will help my situation.

Okay. So just to ensure, you're seeing 7MB/s correct? If so, that is roughly 55Mbps on the download. ISPs like Verizon sell speed tiers in terms of Megabits. When you see a download rate, most are expressed in Megabytes. There are 8 bits to a byte, so with that said, while wired you are getting what you pay for. 55MB/s is nearly a half of a Gigabit, which would mean you would have to pay for Verizon's 500Mbps tier to hit those kinds of speeds.

For router supplied, the ActionTec Rev. I is supplied to those who pay for 150Mbps or more, since the router includes a Gigabit Ethernet switch. It does come with wireless N support, but only at 2.4Ghz and 130Mbps throughput. You can expect half of that 130Mbps under the best conditions. You can buy one, or ask Verizon to give you one with a monthly rental fee. My advice is to just get an access point or another router and simply hang it off the ActionTec to get better wireless as IMO, the Rev. I ActionTec has poor wireless. Otherwise, my recommendation is to wire up.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wireless throughout is not guaranteed so seeing varied speeds and performance is all dependent on the wireless environment you're in. 2.4Ghz (what most wireless devices use primarily) is a very crowded chunk of spectrum that has range over 5Ghz wireless, but is shared by everything from microwaves to other home networks.

If you want the best speeds, wire up. FiOS offers you the ability to re-purpose your home's coaxial into a 100Mbps shared Ethernet connection using MoCA. You also have the option of using Powerline networking, with adapters that allow you to turn your home electrical wiring into a shared Ethernet network. Otherwise, your only other option is to consider getting an upgraded router from a third party, such as Belkin, ASUS or Netgear. Dual band wireless is preferred.

The cheapest way to try to get improvements out of what you already have, are to adjust the wireless channel on your Wi-Fi router, and to ensure your Wi-Fi router ONLY uses WPA2 encryption with AES. Using weaker forms such as WEP or WPA with TKIP, or mixed WPA/WPA2 modes will drop your router to Wireless G speeds. Wireless G typically maxes at 2.4MB/s and in noisier environments, runs at 2MB/s or slower like you are seeing.

On a last note, make sure your wireless devices are wireless N. Most computers come with cheap Ralink, Realtek or Qualcomm Atheros chipsets that are not the best performers anyhow. You can thank the mess Wireless N vendors made when the standard was still in draft for this. Finally, wireless will struggle the faster you try to make it work at higher rates under an ideal comparison between noise environments. This is simple physics. Why does LTE to work horribly despite running on lower frequencies at times, for example?

Point in case: If you have FiOS, PLEASE use wired wherever and whenever possible. You'll have a better time in the long run.

0 Likes
GreyXephos

I don't want to have to plug in an ethernet cable to have good internet. Even plugged in its not as fast as advertised and I've been paying for better internet speeds for months. What I'm asking for is if I was supposed to get the router with the red band and double antenna but didn't, and if that will help my situation.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@GreyXephos wrote:

Okay. So just to ensure, you're seeing 7MB/s correct? If so, that is roughly 55Mbps on the download. ISPs like Verizon sell speed tiers in terms of Megabits. When you see a download rate, most are expressed in Megabytes. There are 8 bits to a byte, so with that said, while wired you are getting what you pay for. 55MB/s is nearly a half of a Gigabit, which would mean you would have to pay for Verizon's 500Mbps tier to hit those kinds of speeds.

For router supplied, the ActionTec Rev. I is supplied to those who pay for 150Mbps or more, since the router includes a Gigabit Ethernet switch. It does come with wireless N support, but only at 2.4Ghz and 130Mbps throughput. You can expect half of that 130Mbps under the best conditions. You can buy one, or ask Verizon to give you one with a monthly rental fee. My advice is to just get an access point or another router and simply hang it off the ActionTec to get better wireless as IMO, the Rev. I ActionTec has poor wireless. Otherwise, my recommendation is to wire up.

GreyXephos

Thank you for letting me know that. It's confusing when downloads says mbps and on the website the plan says 50/25mbps. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome. Glad I could help clear things up.

0 Likes
avilesmcfa

We are having the exact same problem!!!  We are paying for 50/50 and only get 5.43 download and 1.74 upload spped sitting 20 feet away from the modem that comes with the package. I have called numerous time for tech support and the response is that VERIZON only gurantees the 50/50 if you are connected directly and does not guarentee the wireless speed. They are offering a "free" Gateway if I upgrade to a faster speed, which of course they don't guarantee anyway, for more money, and I would be locked into another 2 year contract.  Has anyone else found a solutiion/  is anyone else having trouble with their speed connections?  It does not seem to be great customer service!!!  And the only modems we can use is one that VErizon sells -  I'm not sure if the Better Business Bureau has received other similar complaints.  Verizon officials, if you are reading these messages, please provide a customer friendly solution, or else you are going to have a lot of very unhappy customers that will leave to get their services elsewhere.  

0 Likes
avilesmcfa

It doesn't help - we have the one with the red band and still are only getting 5.43 download and 1.74 upload speepd

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Two things:

1) Have you tried a wired connection?

2) Have you tried testing to speedtest.verizon.net? That stays within Verizon network. You have a better shot at getting things fixed if you are wired and this test doesn't meet your current subscribed rate. This test will prove if it is an issue with your local connection.

BTW, I haven't tested lately, but usually get close to my subscribed rate even over wireless. But wireless is succeptible to interference that no one will guarantee speed over it.

0 Likes