FIOS Router With OpenDNS ... Is This Discouraged?
TonyVA408

I've been using OpenDNS successfully with my FIOS router for several months.  I never had a problem until having FIOS TV installed.  Some "techies" might find this interesting.

My Question -- I learned that using non-standard DNS settings was probably interfering with my FIOS TV initial installation.  However, once the installation successfully completes, I wonder whether it's considered safe to resume using OpenDNS, or might this somehow interfere in some way again?

The Background -- I enjoyed chatting with the FIOS TV installation technician and I distinctly remember coincidentally mentioning that I was using OpenDNS settings on my FIOS router; he seemed completely unconcerned.

After completing the installation, he observed the FIOS TV Guide would not install on my FIOS TV receiver.  He mentioned that sometimes there are delays; I should allow up to an hour for the download to complete, but if it still didn't work, I should call him and he'd be able to issue a reset/restart command for the FIOS TV Guide download.  Three hours later I called him, he restarted the download, but another three hours later, the FIOS TV Guide still had not downloaded.

The Symptoms -- I couldn't display any programming guide-type information.  In addition, the DVR controls -- rewind, pause, fast-forward, etc -- also would not function.

As I called Tech Support, the procedures he recommended -- removing the power (unplugging) my set-top box (STB), and then plugging it in again -- had no effect.  Repeated attempts failed.  Once again, though, I coincidentally mentioned that I had been using OpenDNS.  The technician didn't know what that was, but I briefly explained, and he concluded THIS might be interfering with getting the FIOS TV Guide downloaded.

Here's what happened next, which really surprised me: Tech Support was able to remotely command a router master reset.  Who knew they had this kind of "back door"?  Not I.  After performing the router master reset, the FIOS TV Guide downloaded in mere moments.  My FIOS TV installation was now functioning normally.

However, I've been hesitant to change the router's DNS settings again.  If I don't get a definitive reply via this forum, I suppose I'll have to contact Tech Support via e-mail and ask them to carefully consider my question.

Tony

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS Router With OpenDNS ... Is This Discouraged?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I use OpenDNS and have no problems with FiOS TV services.  I've reset STBs and they download the guide just fine.  VOD works as expected.

Changing DNS in the router is easy enough that you can try it and switch back if you have problems.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I use OpenDNS and have no problems with FiOS TV services.  I've reset STBs and they download the guide just fine.  VOD works as expected.

Changing DNS in the router is easy enough that you can try it and switch back if you have problems.

Good luck.

0 Likes
TonyVA408

Thank you for your reply.  So, I guess that settles it.  I'll use OpenDNS again and see what happens.

I can only guess, but if your situation/configuration and mine were the same, perhaps you already had Verizon TV installed and THEN you began using OpenDNS afterward?  As I said, that's just a guess.

In my situation, though, the sequence of events were probably different.  With me, (1) I had been using Verizon FIOS Phone and Internet only with the router's default settings, (2) then I adjusted the FIOS router to use OpenDNS, and (3) then several months afterward I had FIOS TV added and immediately had the difficulties I described in the initial message for this thread.

Perhaps the difficulties with using OpenDNS, if any, are limited to these two situations: (1) The initial download of the Verizon FIOS TV guide, and (2) interacting with certain Tech Support diagnostic commands.  I may not have mentioned it, but as Tech Support was diagnosing why the guide was not downloading, the technician had issued certain commands to the router, but the router was unresponsive, leading him to think the cause may have been my use of OpenDNS.  That's when he dug deeper into his "bag of tricks" and issued a "master reset" command, which apparently was comparable to using the Reset switch in back of the router.  Who knew they could "hack" their way in like that?

In any case, thanks again for your message.

Tony

0 Likes
optivity
Contributor - Level 3

Verizon allows pass through to Open DNS across it's network. I imagine if too many subscribers start using Open DNS Verizon will block access, put a stop to it in order to hold sway over their captive audience.

Another, more expensive, alternative Open VPN is also available.

Since Verizon still allows pass through to Open DNS servers you don't have to apply those settings to your router. Instead, change the DNS settings for your digital devices (e.g. PC, laptop, notebook, PS3, etc.) and you will achieve the same result w/o interfearing with Verizon's host name resolution process.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TonyVA408 wrote:

Here's what happened next, which really surprised me: Tech Support was able to remotely command a router master reset.  Who knew they had this kind of "back door"?  Not I.  After performing the router master reset, the FIOS TV Guide downloaded in mere moments.  My FIOS TV installation was now functioning normally.

However, I've been hesitant to change the router's DNS settings again.  If I don't get a definitive reply via this forum, I suppose I'll have to contact Tech Support via e-mail and ask them to carefully consider my question.

Tony

I use opendns and have no issues.

As to the back door, look at port forwarding on your router.  You'll see a port forward rule for port 4567 that points to local device.

0 Likes