FIOS Severe Packet Loss to Gateway - CO Issues Maybe? Help!
smrtech
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been wondering over the past few weeks why my FIOS Internet (75/35)

with a fully wired internet is experiencing lots of packet loss when I ping the local

gateway:

If I ping any IP on the subnet, 72.78.80.x, I see packet loss.  If I switch

to the next gateway as a test: 72.78.81.x (also FIOS) - no packet loss.

Might this be a bad PON card in the central office?  The switched things

around this past week and I got a new IP and it went away, then it changed

the next day back to the bad subnet.

I used http://network-tools.com (at VZ suggestion) to test externally to take

my router and PC out of the loop.  All consistent from outside with my

experience of stutters and start/stops.  Lots of stuff is fine, alot is very

flaky.

Reply from 72.78.80.154: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=48
Request timed out.
Reply from 72.78.80.154: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=48
Reply from 72.78.80.154: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=48
Request timed out.
Reply from 72.78.80.154: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=48

FIOS support is not much use in escalating these things, in fact with VZ tech at my

house, they refused to do it at his request because my speed was fine.  They

insisted it was a customer wiring issue.

Not sure how to proceed?  Any suggestions...  Been this week for a few weeks?

I can't spend hours on the phone any more.  Tech closed ticket 10 seconds after

he walked out my door, even though he said he'd escalate to his manager.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS Severe Packet Loss to Gateway - CO Issues Maybe? Help!
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Routers have a keep alive signal, so if you leave them plugged in, they will persistently ask for an IP address, and it will ask for a new ip within seconds, BUT that usually gets the same ip.   

The problem your describing, sounds like it "could be" a bad hop, but there is such a thing as acceptable network packet loss and it's usually between 5 and 10% so it may or may not be a big issue.  If you have real world experience when changing the IP and having it affect your performance positively, then that would suggest it is a hop that is having trouble. The quick solutions are better than having a tech go out, the tech's are there just to confirm it's not your PC's.  Usually they will have a PC.Laptop to connect to the service directly bypassing your gear, and if they can duplicate the issue, then they bring on the tier II guys.  Tier II guys are only available to technicians and network tech's so to get them involved you need a field tech, BUT that is a long and laborious process.  If I could just change the route with a work around, I would do that and call it a day.  

CO routers usually end with a .1 IP Address so I don't think it's in the CO but it's definetely in their network

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

you can try this. 

The trick to this next set of instructions is to leave your router off for about 5+ minutes.  anything short runs the risk of getting the same ip address and the same route, and you don't want that.  you want a new ip and a new route. 

• release your DHCP lease
  • Quickly uplug your router after you release it.
  • leave it off 5-10 minutes
  • turn it back on and test.  
0 Likes
smrtech
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, have tried this for 10 minutes, but I did not unplug the router.  Will try that.

When I was out for 2 hours overnight and got a new IP/subnet, things were

much better.  What does that suggest?

I rebooted the router the day after that, and I went back to bad.  I got a new service appt.

where they will look between my house and the junction box in the neighbor hood.  Did

that using Twitter which happened quickly.

Evidentally another group in VZ has to work with the local tech, not just the generic

FIOS support people.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Routers have a keep alive signal, so if you leave them plugged in, they will persistently ask for an IP address, and it will ask for a new ip within seconds, BUT that usually gets the same ip.   

The problem your describing, sounds like it "could be" a bad hop, but there is such a thing as acceptable network packet loss and it's usually between 5 and 10% so it may or may not be a big issue.  If you have real world experience when changing the IP and having it affect your performance positively, then that would suggest it is a hop that is having trouble. The quick solutions are better than having a tech go out, the tech's are there just to confirm it's not your PC's.  Usually they will have a PC.Laptop to connect to the service directly bypassing your gear, and if they can duplicate the issue, then they bring on the tier II guys.  Tier II guys are only available to technicians and network tech's so to get them involved you need a field tech, BUT that is a long and laborious process.  If I could just change the route with a work around, I would do that and call it a day.  

CO routers usually end with a .1 IP Address so I don't think it's in the CO but it's definetely in their network

smrtech
Enthusiast - Level 2

This seems like it worked.  Had to leave router off for 2+ hours to allow IP lease/DHCP to expire.

On restart, I get different Verizon FIOS routing and things are much improved, no packet loss.

I don't know if this is bad HW or a misconfiguration at VZ, but it's a workaround for now.

I can send somebody specifics of my issue if you think this might help so you can verify

for yourself.

Local tech called today and wanted to swap routers and check light levels at my ONT,

but I called him off, that's not the problem.  So I told him to get a hold of a network/HW

person at the CO to point them at this and see if there is a better solution.

My internet does not seem great, but overall much more responsive and packet

loss is gone as I was seeing.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

if they send a tech, let him come by.  Often times the Tier I and Network tech's can't engage the higher departments without a tech on site.  The only problem is that you fixed your problem, so they won't be able to investigate anything really.  They will hook up your line and say "everything looks ok"

So maybe send that feedback to the Twitter folks and see if they can push it up the line.,  

0 Likes
smrtech
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am posting the specifics of my findings so I can share this with Verizon Support.  No way to

email them, but they can see this post.  I still have an open ticket and they can direct the Network

person to look at this:

I sent this to the guy on forums who suggested a fix to try and get a new IP.
Seems like it worked...check this out.  No packet loss now.  Things a bit
more responsive.  Tech called me today and was going to come out and swap
routers and check light levels, I told him to not waste my time.  He may come
tomorrow like he was supposed to.  I said "call a manager/network tech/local
office and we can discuss further..." this is not at my house.

Wanted to send you details of what I did, appreciate your help, it might help others.

I had to leave my router off overnight - at least 2 hours because I saw in my router that

is how long the lease was for.  In the morning, new IP (same subnet), but different routing

at VZ (next router out changed) - Bang, packet loss gone!  I am not sure things are still

funky somewhere in their network, but much better overall - I can probably live with it.

Is this a configuration issue, or a bad card?  Here is my partial traceroute from work.

OLD: (sporadic packet loss on ping)

7 17 ms 14 ms 14 ms ix-2-0-2-0.tcore2.aeq-ashburn.as6453.net [216.6.87.97]
8 42 ms 19 ms 18 ms 216.6.87.34
9 18 ms 33 ms 24 ms 0.xe-8-0-8.phil-bb-rtr2.verizon-gni.net [152.63.5.246]
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 26 ms 29 ms 29 ms pool-72-78-80-154.phlapa.fios.verizon.net [72.78.80.154] -- Previous IP

New: no packate lost!

7  23 ms    14 ms    12 ms  as6453.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net [66.208.233.46]

8 15 ms 22 ms 18 ms 216.6.87.34
9 24 ms 23 ms 22 ms 0.xe-8-1-4.phil-bb-rtr1.verizon-gni.net [152.63.6.14]
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 25 ms 26 ms 22 ms pool-72-78-80-34.phlapa.fios.verizon.net [72.78.80.34] -- Current IP

See that the "next in" router/hop changed with my IP and away went the packet loss and

things behaving much better now.

0 Likes