FIOS slows down or disconnects (times-out) regularly
unixux

Hello All,

Every 30min to a few hours, my FIOS wi-fi tends to lag spike into thousands of ms or disconnect altogether - the connection remains but packets suddenly stop flowing. AFAIK it only happens to my desktop, not the numerous ipads and iphones. Changing wi-fi adapter did precious nothing. It's incredibly annoying since it tends to happen in the middle of games - competitive games where myself and my team gets penalized , sometimes heavily, for absence. It doesn't make sense for a connection that usually gives me 120 MBps easily. 

0 Likes
Re: FIOS slows down or disconnects (times-out) regularly
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Given that other devices that are connected to the same unit are not experiencing the same problem, the focus shifts to the desktop.

What type of access point is the desktop connected to....1100, 3100, 3200 or something else?

Has the Ethernet cable between the desktop and the access point been replaced?

Can another device be connected to the Ethernet cable to verify if the cable is good?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could you check your network drivers are the latest on your computer? As well as there is no IP conflict in your network. Do you have a potential secondary DHCP server in your network, for example, a network video surveillance recorder or alike?

0 Likes
unixux

Issue appears resolved with a deep setting on my 1100 - I'll follow up with details

0 Likes
unixux

Wireless Setting / Advanced Security Settings /Othe Advanced Wireless Options has Group Key Interval Update set to 3600 sec by default on both 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHz networks.

Disabling it completely for 5 GHz networks seems to have solved the issue almost completely. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe disabling Group Keying Interval is a security risk. I would ask other CLs who are networking experts to chime in.

0 Likes