FIOS speed is all over the map
jg_vz_forum

Greetings:

I have the 10 Mb/s download and 2 Mb/s upload plan. Using either www.speedtest.net or speedtest.verizon.net I get quite a variance in speed. I have measured my download speed to be as low as 1.2 Mb/s and as high as 9.5 Mb/s. I don't upload that much so the upload speed is not an issue. We watch several movies on Netflix instant view. Sometimes we can get through a movie with the dreaded "reloading" pause only happening two or three times. Other times we can't even get through 10 minutes of a movie because the "reloading" pause happens every few seconds, lasting for several seconds to minutes and it ruins the movie watching experience. Several times, we'll see a message from Netflix stating that our Internet connection has slowed. Sometimes it's Netflix's fault where their servers may not be keeping up, but most of the time when it happens I'll check my download speed and it's in the basement. Obviously Verizon puts a throttle on our line which ruins some of our movie watching experiences. I've debated about switching over to Time Warner, but have heard they do the same thing.

I'm very disappointed with Verizon FIOS. It's sad that the fine print says you'll get "up to" xx Mb/s. So if you're paying for 25 Mb/s and you're only getting 2 Mb/s, Verizon is in the clear because they don't guarantee a minimum speed. That's bad business.

I power cycle the Actiontec router by unplugging it every week or two whether it needs it or not.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS speed is all over the map
Hubrisnxs
Legend

are you wireless or hardwired?   that is very important, as wireless connections can encounter more trouble when streaming VS hardwired. 

You should also test at http://speedtest.verizon.net

do several tests, and make sure to read the page when it's done, it will let you know if your pc has been optimized properly.   if it hasn't   do the optimization.  that may fix your trouble.

and while verizon doesn't garuntee a speed or a minimum, their rep's understand that 1mb on a 10 or 20 mb connection isn't acceptable.  if it's hardwired they will try to get you better than that, but if it's wireless all bets are off, because wireless is a different beast.  make sure you are hardwired, and test at the above website.

jg_vz_forum wrote:

Greetings:

I have the 10 Mb/s download and 2 Mb/s upload plan. Using either www.speedtest.net or speedtest.verizon.net I get quite a variance in speed. I have measured my download speed to be as low as 1.2 Mb/s and as high as 9.5 Mb/s. I don't upload that much so the upload speed is not an issue. We watch several movies on Netflix instant view. Sometimes we can get through a movie with the dreaded "reloading" pause only happening two or three times. Other times we can't even get through 10 minutes of a movie because the "reloading" pause happens every few seconds, lasting for several seconds to minutes and it ruins the movie watching experience. Several times, we'll see a message from Netflix stating that our Internet connection has slowed. Sometimes it's Netflix's fault where their servers may not be keeping up, but most of the time when it happens I'll check my download speed and it's in the basement. Obviously Verizon puts a throttle on our line which ruins some of our movie watching experiences. I've debated about switching over to Time Warner, but have heard they do the same thing.

I'm very disappointed with Verizon FIOS. It's sad that the fine print says you'll get "up to" xx Mb/s. So if you're paying for 25 Mb/s and you're only getting 2 Mb/s, Verizon is in the clear because they don't guarantee a minimum speed. That's bad business.

I power cycle the Actiontec router by unplugging it every week or two whether it needs it or not.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS speed is all over the map
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'll echo the comment about being "wired" vs "wireless" when testing your speed.  Yes, a solid wireless connection -- IF you've got an 802.11g connection with little surrounding interference (microwaves, cordless phones using 2.4ghz, other neighborhood Wi-Fi connections can all cause intermittent interference) with still give you a good test.

If you're hardwired to the router and getting consistently bad thruput (trying serveral different speedtest servers -- I've found some near me have recently seemingly started throttling traffic while others sale thru), then it could be a Verizon issue.

For Netflix streaming movies, I have my PS/3 directly connected to the Verizon router on a 35/35 connection to the Internet ... works like a champ.

If you absolutely must be wireless for your streaming client, then you really want to get dual-band wireless "N" router and turn off the wifi on the verizon router (assuming that your streaming client can do wireless-n, otherwise you'll need a little bridge device).  On the dual-band network, you'll want two SSID's (one for the 5.0ghz range and one for the 2.4ghz range -- keep your regular devices on the 2.4ghz band and put ONLY your streaming device on the 5.0ghz band -- there's more channels and less contention up there although many find the distance much more severely limited).