Fios Speed Optimizer Won't Work
Capt15K

Anyone have any idea why Speed Optimizer is causing windows to crash.  I used it on one computer no problem and speed increased greatly on this computer I click on link to start and windows explorer shuts down with either couldnt open web page twice error had to close or memory error click cancel to debug but when I click cancel internet explorer closes site.  I am running xp professional with internet explorer 8.0.  I have 25/25 but can only get speeds of 10/5.  I ran all virus and malware programs.  I think its a setting in explorer but have tried everything.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

0 Likes
Re: Fios Speed Optimizer Won't Work
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Capt15K wrote:

Anyone have any idea why Speed Optimizer is causing windows to crash.  I used it on one computer no problem and speed increased greatly on this computer I click on link to start and windows explorer shuts down with either couldnt open web page twice error had to close or memory error click cancel to debug but when I click cancel internet explorer closes site.  I am running xp professional with internet explorer 8.0.  I have 25/25 but can only get speeds of 10/5.  I ran all virus and malware programs.  I think its a setting in explorer but have tried everything.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

What version of windows?     optimizer doesn't work with win7

0 Likes
Capt15K

Windows XP Professional as stated in original post

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I know, I saw that, I kind of meant what Service Pack?

0 Likes
SFDreamerX
Enthusiast - Level 1

The ActiveX control that is apparently loaded by the "FIOS Speed Optimizer" appears to be attempting to write to a memory instruction area, which is being blocked by the Windows XP DEP (Data Execution Prevention) feature.  DEP's purpose is to prevent hackers from running self-modifying code.  Older machines may work, since some older CPUs don't support DEP.

Both my gaming machine and my software development machine throw this DEP error.  They have different anti-virus software, and different CPUs (AMD - Intel), but they are both running Windows XP PRO SP3 with all the latest Microsoft updates.  My development machine gave me the following specifics, where only the virtual address changes with each attempt:

Dialog title:  "iexplore.exe - Application Error"

Dialog text: The instruction at "0x0A060068" referenced memory at "0x0A060068". The memory could not be "written".

The Windows XP options for DEP probably should not be disabled.  The DEP options can be found in Control Panel ==> System ==> Advanced tab ==> Performance Settings button ==> Performance Options Dialog ==> Data Execution Prevention tab.

Verizon technical support first showed me the "FIOS Speed Optimizer" by taking over my machine, but he could not run it because of the DEP error.  I fixed my original problem by rebooting my D-Link router, which bumped my uplink speed from 2 MBits  to the 5 MBits that I am paying for.  It turns out the my D-LINK DIR-655 router measures uplink speed at boot and then limits it to this value from that point forward (i.e. its Traffic Shaping feature).  Nice!  I am now at 15/5 the slowest FIOS rate... 🙂

I know enough to know just how much I don't know, so maybe my conclusions are wrong and the software engineers that developed the FIOS Speed Optimizer will correct me - AND fix this problem.

Mark1066

I have the same issue.  I'm contracted for 25/25 but speed tests show 6/8.  I can't run Optimizer because of the DEP issue.  I have XP Home Edition with SP3.  I've tried disabling DEP for Internet Explorer, but now get an unspecified error for optimizer.  Any thoughts on a work around?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

have you tried to install it while in safemode w/networking?

0 Likes