FiOS speeds slow. Help?
RunningRaptor

Our plan for Verizon FiOS is for 5 Mbps download speed and 2 Mbps upload speed. Speeftest.net is showing that I am only getting 1.32 for down, and 0.31 for up.  I have run the optimizer through the Verizon site and it seemed to have been solved right after it was finished, but now is the same. Any help is appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: FiOS speeds slow. Help?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
#1 What is the brand and model of this router?

#2 What software firewall is on your computer?

#3 What anti-virus program is on your computer?
0 Likes
VZ_Brian
Contributor - Level 2
Are you wireless or hardwired into router? 
0 Likes
dada1921
Enthusiast - Level 2
i also have the same issue...i have 20/5 fios internet and my speed for both upload and download drastically drops, all the way to 5/1 or even less. I called tech but they couldnt figure out the problem but they said mayb its the router. i got the router today which is a westell 9100EM router, which i had before also, and i hooked it up today. right after i got the 20/5 speed i paid for, but now 5 hrs later, its back to its slow speed. im realli not happy with the service b/c i called so many times to tech but they cant figure out the problem. if anybody has a clue, please reply. also the only times it gets back to the speed is if i reset my router, which i dont want to do everytime i get on or when i called support and they reset the box outside my house. any help will do. thx.
0 Likes
dada1921
Enthusiast - Level 2
oh yeah, i have a dell with mcafee anti-virus and windiws vista OS.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
#1 I have to wonder, if that is because the router has a small NAT table.

Source(s)

a) http://www.verizonfioswiki.com/index.php/Using_Your_Own_Router

b) http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.1_Actiontec

All DSLR (dslreports.com) FAQs » Verizon Online FiOS FAQ » Actiontec

#2 And I wonder it is because this router by default has certain settings enabled.

a) UPnP

b) Wireless (maybe wide open? ).

* By wide open, anyone in range of the wireless point can connect to the network. *

^^
0 Likes
dada1921
Enthusiast - Level 2
i kno thats for an actiontec but how bout a westell 9100em router???? could sum1 please help...i cant stay with this speed for a year, since im on a year contract...i wish verizon could fix it but all tech support says is i dont kno, or its da router (but i jus recieved a new router from them yesterday and still same problem) or mayb we need to reset the ONT (but i dont need to call EVERYDAY or EVERY HOUR) to reset to get my speed back to normal so it can last for a few hours or even minutes. come on verizon, fix the problem!!!
0 Likes
admkshr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi I am fairly new to Verizon FIOS Internet. My speeds are supposed to be 20/5 but I was only getting 15/2. I only use one computer, a laptop.  Today I spent some time on the phone with Verizon Fios Tech support and discovered that the wireless transmission of the internet signal was what was slowing things down. When I used an ethernet cable to connect the router directly to the laptop I got speeds of 20+ download and 4.98 upload. It is not a big deal for me to keep it hooked up this way, but it was a little frustrating that the tech could offer no solution to this problem other than not using it as wireless.

I wonder since I am not using the wireless function of the router now, should I switch off the wireless network discovery of the laptop? Or does it matter? When I connect to Verizon Fios Internet now the laptop shows I am connected to two of the same network, one wired and one wireless.

Also my router is an Actiontec.

Message Edited by admkshr on 08-06-2009 06:08 PM
0 Likes
dada1921
Enthusiast - Level 2

well with the laptop or anything, most likely u will never get a max speed connecting to the internet wirelessly...not sure why but mayb its the network card or something. but with my knowledge of computer which is not a lot but the only way to get the full speed is to connect it directly. a lot of ppl thinks the speed u pay for is what u get no matter how u connect to the internet but its not, they should say in small letters or somewhere near the speed ad, it should say "with direct connection only."

about the connection with wirelessly that your laptop get automatically, if u hook it up direct it will most likely use the direct connection first. i never turn off my wireless connection if i directly connect it and i still get the same speed on a good day which is 19.5/4.8, i have 20/5.

0 Likes